A Meeting Set in Stone

My name is Elena Gilbert. I was born in 1992 on January 15th to Dr. Grayson Gilbert and Miranda Gilbert. I lived a normal childhood in a small town with no bumps or hiccups. I started dating at thirteen and stupidly lost my virginity at age fifteen. I was sixteen years old when I met Damon and Stefan Salvatore, two brothers that held a terrifying yet alluring secret - they were vampires. I was entangled in their lives until it became my own. Now I am two-hundred years old. This is my story of how I found myself caught in a spider web of lust, love, and the supernatural happenings that I was ignorant to for my entire human life. 

I was walking away from a party, looking down at my phone and questioning all that I knew at that point. I debated whether or not to call my brother, thinking of the repercussions of my own actions that night - Matt cheating on me, he and I breaking up, then me getting drunk and stoned. I decided not to call and instead wander around in the night air. I knew Mystic Falls inside and out - I was sure I'd have no trouble getting home. I began to walk down Old Miller Road, looking up at the moonlight and sighing. I adjusted the chiffon dress on my body before looking down to see a man sitting on the grass looking up at the sky as I did. I was still drunk and slightly stoned, so stupidly I called out, “Hello?” The man looked at me and I was paralyzed by his handsome features and curious, flirtatious gaze. He stood and walked down to me. I felt nervous for a moment before he extended his hand. I placed mine in his, and after he spoke one word, I was putty in his hands. I was in no right mind to make any decisions - let alone one that would change my entire life. Had I left Damon to ponder and stare at the sky, would things be different? I don't know, and I'll never know. But as he stared at me, I felt in my heart it was a choice I’d never regret - and I haven't so far.

“Hi. What are you doing out in the middle of nowhere?” He teased, kissing my hand softly in a formal greeting. My lips turned up into a smile as my heart fluttered. He kept his fingers locked in mine for a moment.

“I could ask you the same question,” I teased in return. He smiled and released my hand. 

“I'm Damon.” Would I have turned around, never said my name if I had known I'd spiral into a pit of insanity due to this man? If I had known I would fall into a whirlpool of obsession and desire? When I think of all the things I'd have to give up in return, the answer is always no. I will never regret shyly putting my hands behind my back and saying flirtatiously, 

“My name is Elena.” He smiled a crooked, boyishly charming smirk that made my knees quiver. 

“Would you like to walk with me?” I nodded, walking to his side and tucking my arm in his. We began to walk and enjoy the warm summer air. Virginia is known for humid days and nights, though that night it was reasonably cool and less muggy than it had been earlier in the day. 

“So what are you doing out here?” I asked, looking up at him. He looked back down at me and smiled. 

“I like the stars. The Falls are always crowded with horny couples, so I like to come around here and look at them.” I smiled at him, giggling. “What about you? What's a damsel in distress wandering about in the dark with monsters lurking?” I laughed out loud and smiled at him, not knowing the joke he was implying at that point.

“I was at a party.”

“I should've guessed by your little getup.” I smiled and twirled playfully, striking a model pose.

“You like?” He grinned and chuckled. 

“Very much.” I tossed him a suggestive smile and he offered one in return. The suggestion made the air thick between us, and I was overwhelmed with a desire to kiss him and do everything I could to him. He stepped closer, the look in his eyes telling me to tell him the limits. But in my haze of drugs, booze, and curiosity, there were none. I slid my hands up his chest, going breathless as I felt the hard planes of muscles he displayed in a beautiful John Varvatos shirt and a leather jacket.