3 Months Pt 2

KATHERINE

October bled into November with trees shedding their red and orange leaves. My life was full between helping Erland with school, hiding my true position in the company from Grey and Leya, and working with Shane to prepare the business proposal.

Now, on the day the Committee would decide my fate, I was ready.

Tucking my portfolio under my arm, I stepped out of my bedroom and crept downstairs. The clock above the stairs read 5:30am, the sun barely pinking the sky. The cold flood against my soles made me shiver as I reached the kitchen.

I gasped, scattering my papers as I jumped back. "Who's there?"

Matthew's baritone voice greeted me. "Relax." He turned on the light, holding his palms toward me. "I knew you'd be getting up early, so I made you some coffee."

The warm, aromatic scent reached me, but it didn't stop my racing heart. "Thank you," I stammered.

Matthew bent down to help me pick up my papers, then handed me a cup of coffee.

"Stay for a minute," he said. "I have to get something before you go."

I slid into the barstool and watched Matthew's back disappear up the stairs. Moments later, a door slammed and quick footsteps sounded—followed by a bed-headed Erland sweeping around the corner. "You're leaving?" He stared at me, wide-eyed. "Without saying goodbye?"

"I didn't want to wake you up before the meeting," I said. "I know you have a project coming up for science."

Erland shrugged his shoulders, raising his arms. "So what? I'm almost done—and I would rather see my sister impress an entire boardroom over having to lecture the entire class on fossils." He crossed his arms, holding back a yawn. "I'm coming."

I chanced a glance at Matthew, whose mouth twitched as if he were holding back a smile. "So what's what you had to get, huh?"

He shrugged, feigning nonchalance. "I figured he was necessary."

I glanced between them. My brother's stiff shoulders had relaxed somewhat, his face going from accusatory to pleading. Matthew's expression boasted of silent confidence as he finally let out a heart-melting grin. I let out a sigh. "Go get dressed," I said. "You're not going with me dressed in Spider Man pajamas."

Erland ran upstairs, almost bowling Matthew over on his way out of the kitchen.

I looked at him over my cup of coffee. "You shouldn't have called him this early."

Matthew put the cream and sugar before me. "But you're grateful I did."

I stirred my coffee. "You're spoiling him," I said, pointing my spoon toward the stairs. "First, his own console, now a flight to Pennsylvania?"

"You could go, too," he answered, "if you'd let me get the ticket when I asked."

I shook my head. "I appreciate the offer, Matt," I said, "but I can't accept. I'm already paying less than I should for rent, you're letting me use your car...there's so much I can't pay back."

Matthew gave me a look I couldn't read. "Kat," he started, reaching forward for my hand, "you—"

"Ready!" Erland barreled into the kitchen.

Whatever had come over Matthew dissipated, but not before he threw me a warm grin.

I glanced at my watch. "Meeting is at 7:30. Erland, want to help me set up my presentation in the boardroom?"

"Can I get ask the secretary to get a donut?" He asked.

I shot him a wry grin. "Sure, come on."

We left the house and piled into Matthew's car. The sun's golden rays peered over the bare treetops like a yellow yolk set in a white-blue sky. The trip, so familiar over the months, flew by like a dream; within fifteen minutes, Matthew had parked in front of Wayward Publishing, and Erland and I had stepped out.