Chapter 2

Chp 2.

Minji

I sat across the table from Ara who was nursing a hangover. Her hair was a disheveled mess and she only managed to throw on a t-shirt before I had dragged her to the table. She whined, begging me to shut the curtains so the sun wouldn’t keep glaring in her eyes but I wasn’t feeling sympathetic in the slightest. 

“Care to explain what happened last night? You do realize I was up all night worrying about your whereabouts. Then you come stumbling home drunk with some guy? We need to focus on the upcoming meeting.”

She propped her elbows on the table, cradling her face in her hands as she pouted at me. “Come on, it’s not like I would have actually gotten myself into trouble. I just hung out with our new neighbors! Plus you know I don’t even want to go to that stupid meeting. I told you that you can deal with him, I don’t want to see his dumb face.” 

Well I don’t exactly want to see him either but we have no choice. “You know we both have to be there. No one in their right mind wants to be around that man but unfortunately he is always trying to stir up trouble. He needs to be contained and we have to be the ones to do it. No one else wants to deal with him.”

“Everyone else knows he’s a waste of oxygen!” She huffed.

I shook my head at that. She wasn’t wrong of course, the man in question was the equivalent of human sludge. He was shady, unprofessional, loose lipped and crude. Personal reasons aside, we had every right to dislike him. Time and time again he would try and blackmail people so he could get his way. He shared information on whatever group he was working with, selling them out to rivals. He shot his own underlings that tried to advise him during meetings to try and make a point. He had watched one too many gangster movies in his day and seemed to think he was hot shit. 

Pounding at the door interrupted our conversation. We both stayed silent as we looked at the door yet again, unsure who would be there in the early afternoon. “Ara!! It’s Taehyung, open up!”

I twisted my neck again to glare at Ara who was trying to play off an innocent smile. “You are responsible if anything bad happens. I’m not getting my hands dirty.”

With that, she shot up from her seat and opened the door to greet the man that was yelling her name. Unfortunately for me, he wasn’t alone. A few boys piled inside with him, all saying hello to Ara and one handed her a bag with food in it. He said something about it being for her hangover and I could see the drool threatening to fall out of her mouth. 

It took a second for me to remember one important detail. One that the guests seemed to notice before I had the chance to jump up and grab a blanket. “Uhhh Ara? Where are your pants?” Taehyung snickered. Ara just stood there, gaping like an idiot and shrugged. 

“Whoops. My bad.” She chuckled. 

You… ugh what am I going to do with you. I grunted in annoyance as I got up from my seat and strolled into Ara’s room, grabbing the first pair of pants I could see. I tossed them onto her head, causing her to shoot me a death glare. “Just put on the damn pants. I’m not running a brothel.” 

“Oh! It’s Minji! I didn’t know you lived here too? Wow, I didn’t even realize you two were close. I never see you at the market together.” Taehyung waltzed over to me like it was no big deal he was intruding in my home. Acting like we were the best of friends. He did it with everyone, I just didn’t find it nearly as amusing as Ara did. 

The guys he brought followed suite, all coming over to introduce themselves. Taehyung explained that he was sleeping on the couch at his friends place across the way. Apparently they had an entire gaggle of boys living over there even though only two of them were actually the tenants. They were polite enough, thankfully most of them being less obnoxious than Taehyung.