I

The left side of the bed felt cold. A bit unkempt, but no one to be found. Julia's hand surfed across the surface; expecting the same finding as always, but nevertheless, she tried. She sat up on the edge of the bed, sunlight creeping through the blinds — illuminating the various amounts of clothes that littered the bedroom floor. Selena's black and yellow leather jacket was gone, her ring remaining on the bedside counter. A small hope lingered in Julia's heart, a twinge, wishing that Selena could be there for once. It was shattered yet again.

The apartment was oddly cold, like something was forgotten. A gentle breeze swept through the place; carrying a honeydew-laced scent. Julia walked into the bathroom, splashing water against her deadpan face. Her reflection stared at her. The patch of freckles running from cheek to cheek seemed darker than normal. Her hazel eyes looked to have lost some pigment.

Minutes later and coffee was being made, the kitchen table being empty as ever. Not even a damn note. A text message, call, absolutely nothing. Julia couldn't help but curl her hands into fists. Her nails dug into her skin; nearly causing blood to fall. Teardrops bounced against the wooden surface of the table — her sobbing being covered by the chirping of birds.

If Selena wouldn't text, Julia sure would. The love had to lie somewhere.

"hey sel, good morning ! hope you have a nice day"

"mwah"

And sent. It was fifty-fifty as to whether she'd read it or not, but at least it was there. The initial summer plan was for Selena and Julia to take over the world during break; instead, they were hardly together. Before they knew it, only three days of break remained. The money was good, there was no reason for Selena to take another job. It was almost as if she wanted to be anywhere but home. Anywhere but with Julia.

Being alone, there was nothing else better to do than binge a show on a fine Friday morning. The light from the TV showcased the picture-perfect state of their couch, it hadn't been used in forever. Blankets were tucked away to the side of the living room; the ones they made together remaining on top of the pile. With her coffee in hand, it was time to relax. At least that was the plan. Julia kept scrolling through shows to watch, feeling a bit sour each romance title she passed through — continuing to sip on coffee, until there was none left in the mug.

Eventually, a soft vibration rattled against the glass living room table.

It was a notification, most likely a friend texting good morning. Even though that was the most probable scenario, Julia prayed it was who she was hoping for.

"morning jules, hope you haven't gone anywhere today, I've got a surprise for you birdie~"

The sight of the bee icon next to the contact name was all it took. She immediately knew who it was and rushed to get ready.