Chapter 1: Prologue

"'Riffraff'... 'street rat'." Luo Binghe intoned, sadness and guilt seeping through him from the previous encounter with the lady.

The missing hand fan was the reason for this. He knows he had it in his pocket and that he didn't lose it, but it's just... gone. It seemed to vanish into thin air, never to be seen again.

He hates himself for losing such a valuable item, especially one that was formerly owned by the lady's Muqin.

--

"That was my Muqin's fan..."

Luo Binghe paused for a few seconds after hearing her statement, mouth slightly agaped. Now he is completely panicking inside. He doesn't know what to say to her except, "Yes, it's- beautiful."

Her face was displaying betrayal, emerald green eyes locked on him with both brows furrowed. Such facial expression was heart wrenching to see, it could easily make him kneel before her and apologize over and over.

She then appeared to have realized something, something Luo Binghe believes isn't hurtful. "You are a thief." She deadpanned.

But to him... it is hurtful.

--

He finds it strange that being called a "thief" by someone he had only met a few hours before bothered him (he's heard many do so, and a bastard did insult him before he got home). He's not sure why, but... It hurts. Most likely because he believes...

He's already in love with her; in fact, he fell in love with her at first sight.

"I don't buy that. If only they'd look closer," He walked a few sets of stairs, looking melancholic as ever.

Just a few steps, he sat on one. "Would they see a poor boy? No, sirree."

Luo Binghe shook his head, feeling really disappointed with himself.

He cocked his head to the side, his gaze shifting to the opening beside him, voicing out the words: "They'd find out there's so much more to me..."

Turns out, the fan was stolen by his animal companion, Zhengyang. Luo Binghe is, of course, relieved, but crestfallen that his buddy would do such a thing.

So, he gave Zhengyang a scolding (although he said it in a calm tone), like a parent would do to their misbehaving child.

To be continued...