CHAPTER TWENTY: Bowling Anyone?

"One lane please." Five flipped out his wallet and handed the woman at the counter some cash.

Pins crashed and laughter erupted as she typed something into the computer. "Okay! You're all set!" the employee said in a too cheerful voice. I rolled my eyes and we sat down and waited on the others.

I looked over to Five beside me whose eyes were sadly fixed on our laced fingers. My mouth opened and closed not sure what to say. "You asked me the first thing I remember." His eyes darted up. "Well... Everything before last night seems fuzzy. I remember waking up in a cell beside Vanya in her form and then that happened. Scattered bits 'n pieces here 'n there, and, yeah... Does that help any?" I couldn't meet his eyes and instead locked my gaze on his thumb brushing against my hand.

He sighed. "Yes and no I suppose..."

"A full week?"

"Yeah.. Yeah..." He replied in a low, breathy voice.

"What happened?.. How, how did this happen?" My eyes moved to meet his then back to our interlocked hands.

He deeply inhaled while he pondered what to say. How could he sum up everything that's lead to their love in a few minutes? "You showed up seven days ago in this timeline and I can't tell you how thrilled I was." He chuckled. "The first thing you thought of was coffee apparently, same as I did."

"You?" I chuckled. "I thought you didn't like coffee."

"Do you remember the old man in that cafe? July 29, 1995." A smile crossed his face as I puzzled things together.

"He had your eyes," I murmured in thought. My brown eyes goggled. "You were at the Commission the entire time!" I smacked his arm.

"Just for a few months until I figured out the equation to get back eight days ago." He shrugged. "They picked me up after forty-five years in the apocalypse aftermath."

My face dropped. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. I'm here now. You're here now. And we're here together." He grinned and I chortled.

"So what about us?" I locked my focus on him with a small smile.

"Well, you couldn't find any coffee in the house which is aggravating I know."

"It's so weird, right?" I laughed.

"Makes not a lick of sense." He grinned. "You decided to go to Griddy's for some decent coffee and I followed you. When we were there, we had our first dance in years." He pulled me up off my chair and placed my hands around his neck then moved his to my waist.

"Let me guess. In a rain of gunfire, right?" I smirked as we swayed.

"Why of course." He smirked back. We chuckled. "Our first kiss—again—was in the infirmary after you saved me from yet another fight." He traced the scar running across my collar bone. I noted his stupid grin with interest. "That's when I told you I loved you, this time not half asleep, aand a little more."

"Wait we didn't—"

"We didn't." His goofy smile spread. "But you did say after we saved the world, so." I rolled my eyes. "But given our current snafu, I'll let you off the hook for now."

"For now?" I scoffed with a smile.

"For now." He repeated smugly in my ear then dipped me.

"Still presumptuous as ever." I laughed as he spun me away at arms length.

"Ah, you love me for it. Said it yourself." He spun me back into his arms.

I filled with butterflies at hearing those words again. "You're right." I chuckled with glee. "I do love you."