Chapter 4: That's all what is left of her

Masako is back in her own, cozy and little self-built office, sitting at the desk once again.
She waits for the client after calling him to come over to the office, without her having given him details.
The wait is grueling, knowing the news that she needs to break to him.

But the wait is no more, as the man finally enters the office in a hurry.

"Hello there, miss. Why did you call me? Have you found anything? Did you find her!?"

Masako takes a moment to collect herself and takes a deep breath.

"Yes, I do."

"You did?!"

"...I did.", she answers in an negatives sounding tone.

"Is she safe? Have you found her?"

Masako slams the pictures she had taken from the crime scene on the table, along with the pocketed piece.

"...That's all of what is left of her. You have my deepest condolences."

The client looks at the photo, and then the piece of his wife.
Realization has struck his mind.
She recognizes the moment the world stands still for the husband.
He says not a thing.
His mouth is wide open in shock.
His eyes become wet.

It's quite understandable, even for a more emotionally distant person like Masako.
She feels the pain he is going through, knowing how it feels.

"I deeply apologize."

"...You had only found her there. No need to apologize. ...But do you know who did this? And since when was she... there? Nobody but you found it there.

Now, this is the part where she has to fabricate for the most part.

"I don't have any evidence that anyone committed this. Though, the murder did likely take place close to the spot where I had found her. Since the remains weren't there when the police had investigated, it's likely it was being hidden somewhere else, before being dumped there.
And your wife wasn't the only victim: I was able to recognize DNA from several other unidentified people.
I could not find any clues about the culprit, as they were very careful about their work. The police would likely not find anything as well.

The man just listens in horror.
"I see. I think, I'll just go now."

The man leaves several ¥10.000 notes on the desk, more than needed for the payment, and quickly exits the building, shutting the door behind him with an bang.

The case is solved.
Masako looks at the evidence.
Even though she knows she had no power to save that woman, she still feels guilt.
Perhaps, just perhaps, if she got the request earlier, or found the witch earlier, that woman might have been saved.
The guilt she had felt many times before may just return again.