Chapter 9

The tile floor in the bathroom was cold. It felt like ice seeped into Harry's skin as he pressed his face to it. It moved like water, pushing its way through in a slow but formidable fashion. The cold was dense. It made his body heavy, keeping him down against the floor. He wanted to stay there. The cold made it feel easier not to think in spirals. He inhaled, exhaled. Inhaled, and exhaled.

It was out there, in the open. Louis knew, obviously, and so did Zayn. However, with Harry's family, it was another matter entirely. He had never known his family to be homophobic, but he also knew people reacted differently when it came to their own children. It would indubitably be a shock either way.

He'd seen his mother's face when he met her in the hallway. He had walked past her, and he had regretted every second of what happened on the pavement. How could he have done something so stupid? He wondered if his mother was calling his father at this very second. Or maybe she was bombarding Gemma with questions? Maybe she was trying to find out who Louis was? Perhaps she was still standing downstairs in pure shock.

Harry's whole face felt like crystal ice. He liked it.

When Zayn arrived and walked into the bathroom, he was quiet. He slid down onto the floor and pressed his palm onto Harry's back. The hand was warm, and it made him shiver.

"She was gone when I walked in."

Okay. Harry inhaled. Exhaled.

"Nobody's home, mate."

Okay. Inhale, exhale.

Zayn's hand rubbed soothingly against his back. Harry could only see his green socks. They had the Hulk on them. Harry focused on the cold tiles, Zayn's hand, and the purple trousers that the Hulk wore.

"She just needs a second to take it in."

"Uh-huh."

"You're her child. She just needs to adjust her dreams of your future a little bit. She'll calm down."

"Uh-huh."

A few minutes passed. Harry's head swirled like he was drunk and had just lied down.

"Do you want to hear something funny?"

"No."

For a few seconds, Zayn was silent. Then he asked, "Do you want some of that molly...?"