5. Burn the Witch

In the next moment, I was crumpled to the floor. Both sides were seized before I could comprehend. My understanding was a few seconds behind as a sharp pain cursed through my knees. Only then did I realise that I had been forced to kneel. A shout escaped me, and I tried to lash out, but my body was stiffly overpowered by two heavily armed men. "No hard feelings. But you got to go." One of his men aimed his crossbow at me as he spoke.

I heard a groan and the sound of a kick behind me before someone interrupted, "Touch her, and I kill him." A cold voice tore through, making the man pause. I strained my neck to peer behind me. Everard had his sword placed at Marc's neck, who had a bloody nose and was semi-conscious by the looks of it.

Tension poured through the air as everyone took a stance. It was a standoff. Everard can't keep with it for long. And once they decided Marc's life wasn't worth letting go of me, we were doomed. We were heavily outnumbered, and even if Celene and Nevaeh were to join the cue, we would barely hold up. Given that I am injured and Nevaeh can't combat to save herself, it leaves Everard and Celene. My eyes fell on Everard's hand; he was clutching onto something. I pinched my eyes to find out it was paper.

A realisation struck me. It was my departure letter that I left for Everard. It was no wonder he looked furious.

"Let go of her," Everard said. No one made a move. I felt the hold on my shoulders tighten. I looked at my captor, and I could see that he was contemplating the way a layer of perspiration built upon his furrows. Everard sensed the hesitation, so he boldly scratched the surface of Marc's neck, and that was enough to send me reeling to his side as if I were a bag of trash.

I found my feet, and Everard started backing up, his hold on Marc still tight as he dragged him with him. I winced and retained a curse before bending down and plucking out the large ceramic piece from the sole of my feet. I bit my lips, blocking the scream brewing inside me. At the foot of the door stood Nevaeh. She looked nervous and was holding the door handle firmly.

Still, nobody has moved. Nevaeh cautiously strode to me and helped me limp inside. Only when I attempted to move did I realise the severity of my wounds. My legs were a bloodied disaster, and I could barely see any skin. I was feeling faint due to an abundant amount of blood loss.

My body was trying to heal itself using my powers, and that was the only reason I was still holding up. Just as I passed the door, I saw Celene stand in front of me. She looked way above the definition of tiredness. A layer of sweat glistened as she held up the car keys.

"We're leaving at once." She said and gave me a once-over before asking, "Can you hold on till we reach the car? I had packed up the medical kit in the backseat. Nevaeh will treat you to your wounds once we get there." I nodded.

Celene led us to the garage through the back door. She unlocked the car, and Nevaeh loaded the things that she had packed to sustain us for a few days into the boot of the car. As she shut the boot, I heard a loud crash. Celene whipped her head in that direction.

"Quick! Everard has made the run for it." She shouted and started the ignition, and the engine roared to life.

Celene drove us towards the mud trail behind, which was connected to the main road. She stopped the car as she saw Everard sprinting our way with Marc's men hot on his trail. And just as he got in, she steered to the road with full acceleration, not missing the chance to bounce in every pothole. The delirious inertia roleplayed a demon as I held on to Neveah as my life depended on it. Everard was holding on to the handle above the door; his eyes were wide and frantic as he tried to multitask, reaching for water and stopping himself from shooting off the car.

"Celene, I know it isn't a good time to ask, but are you certified to drive?" Everard barely made out the words as we jumped over another plothole where Everard dodged a flying tissue box.