Princess Hanna and the Forever Fire

Princess Hanna was a ten-year-old troublemaker and loved nothing more in the world than blowing fire. I suppose I should mention that Princess Hanna was a dragon. Everyone in Courage Town were dragons.

As much as Princess Hanna loved blowing fire, her parents forbade it. No matter how much she begged them, her mom and dad refused to let her do it. Even though her brothers were allowed to blow fire all they liked. In fact, they were encouraged to! She had to do it secretly when no one was looking. Princesses weren't meant to use their fire powers. "Leave that to the boys," her mother had said.

Every New Year's Eve in Courage Town there would be a great feast to celebrate. Everyone in town would gather in the town square and eat incredible food and listen to music and dance. It would go all the way up until midnight.

In the middle of the town square there was a great big fire called the Forever Fire. The Forever Fire was a sacred magical fire. Despite its name, the Forever Fire didn't actually burn forever, although it did still burn for a very long time! Each year at strike of midnight on New Year's Eve, the fire would go out and then have to be relit. But not just any old fire could relight the Forever Fire. The Forever Fire needed an extraordinary burst of dragon fire. In Courage Town, only Princess Hanna's father King Malcolm was able to breathe fire strong enough to light the Forever Fire.

During the New Year's Eve feast when Hanna was ten, she couldn't help being frustrated in the town square as her brothers and all the other boys danced around after dinner and blew fire in celebration. She was furious. Finally, she asked her mother, "Mom, can I please use my fire? Just this one time."

"Rules are rules," her mother replied. "I didn't make them. I just follow them."

"Why?" asked Hanna.

"That's just how rules work, Hanna," she said.

Hanna crossed her arms and scowled.

It was getting closer and closer to midnight and everyone except Hanna was having an amazing time. The boys were all blowing fire while the girls held hands and danced.

Suddenly, in her anger, Hanna got out of her seat and marched out of the town square, leaving the party behind.

All of the rest of Courage Town was dark and silent and empty. Finally on her own, she blew bursts of fire in front of her as she walked. She knew that her fire powers were a hundred times stronger than any of her brothers. She had spent her whole life sneaking out into the woods every day to practice.

Hanna eventually got out of Courage Town and walked up a nearby hill so that she could look over the town square. Down below, she saw everyone partying in the town square. It was almost midnight now. She could tell because everyone was making a circle around the bright Forever Fire. She could hear them as they all counted down from ten.

Ten... Nine... Eight... Seven... Six... Five... Four... Three... Two... One... Happy New Year!!!!

In that exact moment the Forever Fire went out just as it always did. Everyone was cheering. Hanna could see the flash of light from her father blowing fire to relight the flame. Except the Forever Fire wasn't catching... The darkness remained. Gradually, people stopped cheering. Something was wrong.

Up on the hill, Hanna was worried. What had happened? Why wasn't the Forever Fire burning again? Finally, Hanna made her way back down the hill and through Courage Town back to the town square. When she got there everyone was gathered around the unlit Forever Fire. Her father was trying to blow fire but every time he opened his mouth he would just start coughing.

Hanna rushed over to him. "Dad, are you ok?"

"Of course, sweetie," he said, and then started coughing. "I'm just a little bit unwell."

Hanna looked at the unlit Forever Fire. She stood up tall, getting ready.

"What are you doing?" said her father.

"Trust me," said Hanna.

She took a big breath and then she blew the biggest and strongest ball of fire she could conjure! Straight away the Forever Fire burst to life. Immediately, everyone started cheering and dancing. Hanna had the biggest smile of her life.

As everyone was celebrating, Hanna's father came over to her and gave her a hug.

Smiling, he said, "Perhaps some rules are meant to be broken."