How It All Started

Welcome, settlers! The ISA (Interstellar Space Agency) provides you with quick access to all settlements opened within the Solar System and beyond. Just find the best world that fits you. Would you like to start a new life close to the seas of Mars or would you explore the vast plains on Venus? Or perhaps you would be more interested in colonizing the low-gravity moons of Jupiter and admire the astonishing landscapes and eclipses there. Or how about Saturn's moon Titan? Wouldn't you like to relax on its grass, watching the rings and the other moons? Or would you like to take advantages of the many commercial opportunities to get a good job on one of the industrial corporations in the Main Asteroid Belt? Or would you be interested in living like a true pioneer on Pluto or beyond? The choice is all yours.

Travellers from Earth get a message like that. The Solar System has been terraformed. Settlers can live in open air on Mercury, Venus, Mars, Europa, Ganymede, Calisto, Titan and Triton. There are cities, bases and space colonies on almost all the other moons and asteroids, spreading to the outer, cold reaches of the Kuiper Belt. And now, humans are crossing the boundaries of the Solar System, spreading towards other solar systems, terraforming new worlds there and building new colonies.

What is the main force dragging this? It's like a bush fire. Once you started it, it spreads from bush to bush and from three to three until it reaches the outer end of whatever it can burn. It is hard until the first bush ignites, then nothing can stop it.

The force behind this is the ISA, Interstellar Space Agency. However, the roots of this pioneering organization lie in obscurity, in mass enslavement and mass starvation, in extreme cruelty and violation of any international treaty. The ISA has its roots deep within the most bloodthirsty organizations ever created and has committed crimes and acts of violence in front of the whole world.

Future generations will forget the ISA's past, just as today's people do. If you ask today's generation about the crimes committed by the ISA, they will agree that it was a price paid for the good of us all and for the salvation of the human race, as Earth slowly becomes uninhabitable.

The Solar System is now formed of independent states, federations and industrial estates. With its network of bases, the ISA forms the backbone of space transport and provides its services cheaper and better compared to others. It facilitates many people to leave the Earth and settle in outer space... and promotes the colonization of what lies beyond the Solar System.

Despite its glory, ISA was built on blood and bones. Its leaders don't deny it, but also don't recognize it ever. It is not uncommon that settlers see their enthusiasm falling down when they encounter mass graves on the new planets and moons they decide to step foot on and make them their new homes.

PART 0 – HOW IT ALL STARTED 

THE HISTORY SO FAR

Is this really Earth? What happened here? I've seen many post-apocalyptic movies, but I never imagined I would, one day, live in one.

Margaret Brown, the first person to be animated from cryosleep, 2247.

What happened over planet Earth? Facing imminent economic meltdown and never-ending debt crisis, world leaders turned their attention away from the planet's environmental problems. Anyway, everything they proposed for the poor planet was never good. They wasted countless sums of money on feasibility studies and useless research, without doing anything. But, while politicians only think about their voters and their safe bank deposits, Mother Nature does not sleep.

What came next? The planet's climate went wild, with draughts and storms that nobody has ever seen before. The Ganges ran dry and the Danube was larger then the Amazon. A gigantic hurricane hit Japan, while two million people died of starvation.