live on

— "are you upset? well, with me?" he asked, his voice soft yet his face remaining emotionless.

"no, no. of course not. it wasn't your fault and it never will be." they replied, sniffling quietly. "i'm just scared."

it was a bit quiet after that. the only thing you could hear was the light breeze.

"why are you scared?" he finally smiled, though it was weak. they appreciated his kind efforts, anyway.

they felt themself shiver. "i don't think i can live without you. i'm so scared. you were always there for me without knowing me personally, and now you're gone." letting the tears fall, they looked up at the clouds.

they felt him sit down beside them. "don't cry, you nerd. you don't need me or anyone else to be strong. all you need is determination and to depend on yourself. but- y'know- obviously ask for help if you need it." he chuckled, slowly turning to look at them.

they could only nod in response, and they knew his words were nothing but true, but it still hurt.

they heard him sigh, and suddenly, a heavy yet comfortable and soft weight was sat upon their shoulders. in the corner of their eye, they could see the red silk flowing in the wind.

"keep it, my cloak. in memory of, well, me. just so you know i'm never truly gone. and if that's not enough, just keep looking at the clouds for me like you always do. okay?"

and the next thing they knew, he was gone. they didn't get the chance to respond.

but they can feel themselves slowly reaching acceptance. and that's okay. and they know he's so proud of them already.

' it's going to be okay. ' they thought as they smiled, still staring at the clouds. 

and it was a thursday.