Chapter 2

It was the night of the well-known opening ball, hosted by Lady Danbury herself. Penelope had chose to wear her favorite sage dress with her hair twisted up with flowers in between the braids, along with some curls that were framing her face. She was patiently patting her knees as her and her family rode in their carriage to what Penelope hoped to be the start of her best season yet. The only thing Penelope was worried about was Colin. She couldn't let his good looks and sweet charms get in her way of finding a suitable husband. She would have to forget him, as hard as that may be. As their carriage was pulling up to ball's entrance, Portia spoke up to her daughters.

"My girls, since our dear Phillipa is already married, it is up to you two," Portia moves her pointed finger between Prudence and Penelope, "to find a husband as well this season. So please be on your best behavior!" Portia eyes Penelope up and down, "I don't know how you expect to find a suitor in such a disagreeable color Penelope.
Penelope looked down at her dress. She wasn't gong to let her mothers words get to her. She knew she looked, and felt, more beautiful then she ever has in a dress. "I like it mama," she simply said. Portia rolled her eyes and rubbed her forehead as if her daughter was the reason for her headache and not the fact that her hair was pulled back too tight.

    The three of them stepped out of their carriage and walked towards the entrance. Penelope's nerves were starting to set in. What if she was about to make a fool out of herself? What if she did look ghastly in her green dress? What if no one wanted to call on her the next day? As she walked into, the elegant fixtures, beautiful dancing music, and the fresh bouquet of flowers everywhere, swarmed her senses. The ball was in full swing, gossiping mamas and chatting suitors at every corner. Penelope broke away from her mother and sister and went towards the refreshments.

"If it isn't Miss Penelope Featherington," Lady Danbury's voice swept in next her.
"Lady Danbury!" Penelope swiftly set down her drink and bowed her head to the lady in front of her. "Your ball is exquisite, as always."
"Why thank you dear. I must say you are looking exquisite as well tonight. Finally made your way out of those yellow dresses I see," Lady Danbury smirked. Penelope took no offense to her comment, she knew those dresses were not a favorite to the eye.
Penelope picked up the sides of her dress slightly ad curtsied, "Yes I have! Thank you for noticing," she giggled. Lady Danbury looked over to her left and smiled.
"It looks like your change of attire has brought you some attention Miss Featherington." Penelope quirked her eyebrow in confusion and looked over at what Lady Danbury was looking at. In Penelope's surprise, three men standing near one of the tall bouquet of flowers were all looking over at her. At her! And it wasn't a judgmental stare, oh no, it was a stare of interest. Penelope blushes and picks her drink back up and takes a sip.
"I believe the one man in the middle is named Lord Lumley. A kind fellow and handsome too." Lady Danbury says to Penelope. Penelope lifts her eyes up to see the man, while taking another small sip of her drink. Lord Lumley was agreeably handsome to be sure. He smiled at Penelope as he caught her eye. Penelope gave him a smile back, feeling herself gain some confidence.
"If you need anything Miss Penelope, do let me know," Lady Danbury leans in with a smirk, "you have always been my favorite," and she walks away welcoming the people around her. Penelope smiles as she watches Lady Danbury be her true self, full of wit and no care for judgement. She always liked Lady Danbury, she never scared Penelope like she did to others.

"Excuse me Miss Featherington," a male voice spoke behind Penelope. Penelope looked behind her, and there stood Lord Lumley himself. "I would love to be your first dance tonight, if you will have me," Lord Lumley speaks with interest. Penelope, shocked by his offer, unknowingly hesitated.
"I-I. Yes! I would love to dance with you Lord Lumley," she hands him her dance card and he signs his name.
"Until then," Lord Lumley bowed and walked back to his friends. Penelope's heart was racing. Did she actually just get an offer to dance? She only ever danced with the Bridgertons and especially has never been offered by someone who wasn't a Bridgerton.