TWENTY-SEVEN

Not like this meant anything, but the girl was fucked.

She did not sleep a wink last night. She was too busy thinking about what Paxton said. She knew they still had that connection. It scared the shit out of her. 

Why? 

A part of wanted nothing more than to say yes and kiss him shamelessly. But then the other part of her was scared. Scared that he'll do what he did again. The girl had a tendency to trust too easily. She put too much faith in other people.

Why couldn't she just have a relationship like Eddie and Lily? Things were so easy for them.

"I might want to break up with Eddie." Lily suddenly says, walking up to the girl who's at her locker.

Oh nevermind.

"What?" Carly's eyes widened.

"Well you know how Washington offered me a scholarship?" Carly nodded as her friend continued. "I think I'm gonna take it."

"You are?" Of course the girl was sad her friend was thinking of moving to a completely different state.

"Yeah. I was gonna tell you but you know it's my dream to play there, you know that and..."

"Lils, you don't have to explain it. I get it."

Lily nodded. At first she didn't want to go, but when she visited the campus, she fell in love. "Eddie's obviously staying here in California but... I don't know. We've been together for so long, seen each other every single day. Long distance won't be easy for us. Trust me, Eddie is clingy as fuck."

Carly chuckled. Maybe she was glad she was single right now. "You want to break up with him because of distance or because you want to be single when you go there?"

Lily sighed. Caught her. "Eddie and I dated for years. College is a completely different ball park. And as much as I trust Eddie, I don't want to be the reason why he holds back."

Carly nodded. "Have you talked to him about it?"

Lily shook her head. "Not yet. I'm scared."

"You sure you don't wanna wait for UCLA before you commit?"

"UCLA has never been in my dreams. I wanna get away from California for a while and Washington has a good softball program plus it isn't too far so I can still hop on a 3 hour flight home."

Carly nodded. Of course she was sad this was the last season her and her best friend were playing together. "No matter what you decide, we'll always be best friends. No matter what state we're in."

Lily nodded. "Best friends forever."