Chapter Twenty-One: City In Your Hands

"Quasi!" At Esmeralda's call, Nakoma and Quasi exchanged worried glances and hurried back to where Phoebus lay sleeping, his face finally relaxed. Esmeralda sighed with relief as they approached. "He's unconscious for now...he will heal fine. He just needs to rest."

Djali suddenly bleated, his hooves up on the window sill. Quasi hurried to the window.

"Frollo's coming!" he called back. Nakoma's heart began to race. "You must leave." He took Esmeralda by the hand. "Quick, follow me." He pointed toward a different staircase. "Go down the south tower steps."

Esmeralda grasped his hands.

"Be careful, my friend. Promise you won't let anything happen to him."

Quasi set his face before it could register his displeasure. "I promise."

"Thank you." Esmeralda smiled at him before dashing off.

"Quick, we gotta stash the stiff!" cried Laverne.

Nakoma, the gargoyles, and Quasi all wrangled Phoebus' unconscious body underneath the carving table, Nakoma trying (and Quasi not really trying) to be careful of his wounds. "Hide!" he hissed at Nakoma, but she had already leapt away and was settling in behind one of the loose drapes surrounding the little space with the table, prepared to listen in. She could see what was happening through one of the many little holes in the fabric. Quasi hurriedly righted his fallen figurines as Frollo entered the little room. He stopped what he was doing and stood straight.

"Oh, master, I didn't think you'd be coming--"

"I'm never too busy to share a meal with you, dear boy." Frollo placed a basket on the table and sat down calmly, removing his hat. "I brought a little treat." Quasi smiled nervously. Frollo cleared his throat.

"Oh!" As though on cue, Quasi sprang into action, running to retrieve some dishes for their impromptu lunch. Nakoma cringed as Quasi dropped several of them, filling the bell-tower with the crash of shattered pottery. He returned and quickly set the table with the ware he'd managed to keep hold of. Frollo gently placed a bunch of grapes on Quasi's plate.

"Is there something troubling you, Quasimodo?"

"No. No!" Quasi sat down, bracing himself on the table.

"Oh, but there is." Frollo plucked a grape from his own bunch and ate it quickly. "I know there is." A single grape fell and rolled underneath the table. Quasi warily ducked under the table and picked it up, gulping as he caught a glance of Phoebus' sleeping face. As he sat up straight, Frollo watched him curiously.

"I think...you're hiding something."

"Oh, no, master, there's nothing--"

"You're not eating, boy."

Quasi grabbed a bunch of grapes, stuffing them all in his mouth and chewing quickly.

"It's very good," he said through a full mouth. "Thank you."

Nakoma had to stifle a gasp as she heard a groan from underneath the table. Quasi's eyes widened.

"Mmm!" he said, smiling and chewing on his grapes. Phoebus groaned again; Quasi suddenly jerked and slammed his hand on the table, coughing and beating his chest. "Ahaha...seeds."

Nakoma could tell that Frollo was not convinced. He looked around curiously.

"What's...different in here?" he said, standing and surveying the room.

"Nothing...sir." Quasi gazed up at him expectantly. Frollo suddenly looked down at the models on the table and picked up the figure of Esmeralda.

"Isn't this one new?" He examined it with feigned admiration. "It's awfully good. Looks very much like the...gypsy girl." Quasi's eyes widened and his mouth fell open. "I know..." Nakoma could feel the fear rising in her heart as she watched Quasi's terrified expression. Frollo leaned over the table. "You helped her escape!" He slammed the figure down on the table, breaking the dishes and knocking Quasi onto the floor.