Chapter 2 ~ The Demon Knight

Luz felt Amity's arm take her waist and with a flash of purple and the squelch of slime, they fell into a mass of abominations.

"Jeez," Luz said, as the pair sat on the forest floor, covered in ooze, but alive. "Thanks, Amity."

"Of course," Amity said, helping Luz to her feet. "Couldn't let the cutest girl on the Boiling Isles become the flatest."

A rustle in the forest caused them both to snap back to the moment, eyes scanning the treeline.

But this time, a form emerged from the woods hands raised.

"Stay your spells, witches. I do not seek you this day, but the terrible beast with which you did battle."

He was tall, easily six feet, not including the horns. Covered in black fur, with claw-like hooves and a long, swishing tail, Luz had to admit, as far as demons went, he was already intimidating enough without the sword and armor - even if he looked very much like a goat.

A heavy, tattered cloak hung from his shoulders, a whip, and a variety of potion bottles adorning the belt.

"You know what that thing was?" Amity asked, relaxing a little, but not dropping her spells.

"Of course," the demon said, lowering his hands. "A vampire from the Ulnic Valley. I have been tracking it for weeks, but without its cloak, it won't dare come out in the sunlight. It will likely make its way back to the nest... Is she okay?"

Amity glanced at Luz then back at the demon. "She's fine. She's just excited about something."

"Vampires?" Luz had dropped any pretense of a combat stance and was bouncing in place. "And you hunt them? You're a vampire hunter? That's so cool!"

The demon bashfully rubbed the back of his neck. "Oh, well... I mean, I hunt other demons too. And witches. I am more of a bounty hunter, overall, but I suppose I specialize..."

"I'm Luz," Luz said, offering her hand. "And this is Amity."

"Hi," Amity said, dropping her circles and folding her arms.

"Lady Luz and Lady Amity," the demon said, bowing. "I am Hebridaen Blackthorn, Knight of the Order of the Titan." He rose back up to his impressive height and glanced between the two. "And vampire hunter. Specifically. At the moment."

He cleared his throat. "A pair of young witches like yourselves shouldn't be wandering these woods alone. You can clearly handle yourselves, but vampires are cunning and powerful. Can I escort you home? Is it far?"

"I thought vampires were extinct?" Amity said, ignoring his question. "Emperor Belos hunted them all down more than fifty years ago."

Hebridaen bristled. "Well, he wasn't emperor then, was he? And he didn't wipe anything out. He and his stupid Golden Guard just drove them underground, and then blamed my Order for not protecting the people of the Ulnic Valley."

Luz stepped in front of Amity by reflex, though she kept her smile up. "Hey, so, no disrespect meant. We're not fans of the Emperor's Coven either. And I am super excited to meet a real vampire hunter. I've read so much about them and if they are as dangerous as that, and you hunt them, you must be pretty tough yourself."

"Well, I-I am... but the last of my Order. Belos saw to that. But it doesn't matter. The people of Bonesborough are in danger."

"Danger? What kind of danger?"

"Uh, Luz?" Amity touched Luz's shoulder. "What did we talk about?"

"Come on, Amity. You heard Mister Hebridaen. People are in danger. And we just got attacked. We're people. We were in danger and-"

Twenty or so Adventures from The Owl House - Darkest Before the DawnOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara