Chapter 1: Yuan

"The authorities are expecting Sinclair family's newly established company to be your fresh rising rival, Mr. Gongsun, what are your comments on that?" The interviewer woman asked while I was getting blinded by the flashlights and distracted by the paparazzi yelling at the red carpet.

"I wish them luck in the sector," I scoffed. "Sinclair family is after a subtle emulation as usual. However, replacing the Chinese by using their white privilege will not be as easy as they assume it will be, not when we already own an honorable prestige." I smiled sarcastically at the camera and kept my expression until the interview was cut.

This was the last fundraising gala of the summer, and the last one I was attending this year. Another season was on the doorstep, added up with senior year of high school, I was going to be as busy as Qin Shi Huang was when he was enacting political reforms.

"That was quite an overstatement" I whispered to myself just before I saw Grace, sipping champagne in her low-cut navy-blue dress and talking to other Hollywood actresses in the corner of the hall.

"Grace," I called when I was close enough for her to hear me, putting my hand on her back. "Are you planning to stay after the dinner?"

"Most probably," she swirled the glass in her hand.

"Ah, here comes the Oscar winner actor," Some interviewer yelling from our backs had us both staring at the red carpet. "Jesse Howler!"

Jesse was right there, walking on the carpet in a black tuxedo and with his slicked back brown hair, smiling at the paparazzi.

"Ugh," Grace let out a disgusted noise. "I take it back."

"You're still at odds with him?"

Grace rolled her eyes and sighed actress worthily. "He chose his beloved Oscar over our relationship. You know exactly why I dumped him."

"He would've made a perfect groom for the reputation of the family."

"Stop talking like mom." She sloshed down her champagne. "I'll hang out with Margot before heading into the dining hall, meet you there?"

"Sure," I gave her a pat on the shoulder and grabbed a drink from the waiter passing by.

It was recognizable from the first sip. "Dom Perignon Rose Gold Methuselah." I named the champagne immediately.

The dining hall was already full. Well-known film stars and filmmakers of Hollywood, favorite pop stars of record labels, business people of reputable companies, and good-looking models of vanity fair were all over the room, chatting and drinking before the awaited dinner.

I took my phone out immediately and texted the group chat. This is the worst dinner I've ever been to.

My phone vibrated as soon as I sent the text. You said the same shit last time as well. Willow had replied.

No, I'm serious this time. I texted. My eyes searched the room in hopes of seeing a familiar face for a short second. It was no use. They're playing Mozart in the dining hall and my face will definitely be on The Nation's headline this week.

OMG don't say a word about the interviews I want to find it out on the news. Willow made fun of me with the skull emoji she sent.