Chapter 4

A week later Henry was laying in his bed, tossing and turning. He couldn't shake this feeling. He couldn't shake Maeve out of his mind. He hadn't seen her much recently; he'd been stuck helping with Two's lessons recently. He hadn't even come across her in the corridors of the ward, so he imagined she had been quite busy, either participating in Brenner's tests or having lessons herself. 

Despite being busy most of the time, Maeve always seemed to worm her way into his mind. The twisted part of him wondered whether she was messing with his head intentionally – her powers were still extraordinary to him. There was something intoxicating about her. That unfamiliar feeling entered his body again, radiating from the pit of his stomach. Henry didn't understand what possessed him, he had never felt these types of things before. He could picture her, sat in the chair in front of him again, as he tied her hands together, inhaling the lavender from her soap. He could imagine the feeling of her skin beneath his fingertips and for a moment he wondered what it would like to touch other places. He wanted to tell himself that it was due to the fact he was a grown man with needs now, but it was only Maeve her desired in this way. Perhaps it was her innocence – she seemed so pure. Sighing, he rolled over once more. What was the point of these thoughts? They were prisoners.

The next morning Maeve woke up to a knock on her door. She sleepily looked at the clock on the wall, it was 8AM, but somehow, she didn't feel rested at all. The past few days had been exhausting. She had been taking lessons with Dr Brenner to help control her powers, some days had gone well, others not as much. She had really hoped for a day's rest. The person on the other side of the door was persistent and knocked again.

"Alright, alright..." Maeve sighed as she sleepily made her way over to the door, pulling a thin dressing gown over her nightdress.

"Sorry to come by early..." Henry drifted off, taking in her sleepy state in front of him "Dr Maxwell sent me."

"Right, well... what is it?" Maeve hugged herself, feeling a chill from leaving her cosy and warm bed.

"She said you're to come to the rainbow room with me immediately." He explained, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

"Can I change?" she asked him, her eyebrows raising with concern.

"I don't know." He answered, shrugging his shoulders. "I don't even know what this is about." Maeve contemplated for a moment, blinking sleepily.

"I am going to change. Thanks for letting me know." She decided before shutting the door. Henry was stood outside, surprised at her abrupt behaviour. He decided it was nothing against him personally and waited patiently. She opened the door, having opted for a simple floral dress, with white cuffs and collar. It complimented her curves beautifully. She ran a hair through her auburn hair in an attempt to tidy it up as she yawned. "Ready." Maeve said, holding back a yawn. Henry smiled in return and led the way to the rainbow room.

"How are you?" He asked after a moment of hesitation. She seemed exhausted and like she didn't want to interact with anyone. However, he hadn't seen her in a few days and he was intrigued. Intrigued by her hold over him. Part of him had become very easily agitated during their time apart and he already felt better, just walking beside her.

"I am good, thank you. How about you?" she replied politely as she turned her head to look at him fully. His smile spread at her reply; ever so polite.

"I am good. You don't have to lie to me though." He said, giving her somewhat messy hair a pointed look.

"Truthfully, I am exhausted." She couldn't help but smile in return. It was nice not having to lie to please others. "I was told today I would have some time for myself for working so hard." The disappointment was evident in her voice and her smile turned into a frown.