Chpt 001: Hanahaki

• HANAHAKI •
— Red Snow ❀

"What's your name, dear?"

— THE SNOW PLUMMETING FROM THE SKY was stolen, carried by the cold, harsh winds only to fall onto more of itself, creating a seemingly never ending land of pure white. Beautiful, it was, yes. But very much deadly.

The night was pitch black a contrast to the pale snow, the only source of light in the night being the moon, the same colour as that deathly beautiful ice. It shone down on the ice covered forest floor and powdered trees as the snow kept falling.

Somewhere in that endless land and harsh snow storm; a young girl— no older than five —fought to compete against the strong winds and deep snow that with every second succeeded more in consuming her small form whole.

She was powerless against the blizzard's cold and deadly bite, soon if her journey were to continue her white porcelain skin would begin to turn red then black at the tips, she'd lose her breath to the unfaltering chattering of her teeth and soon she'd be forced to fall into the cold snow.
The thought of her body collapsing, to only then be covered by layers and layers of snow, leaving her to never be seen again until summer came and thawed winter. It scared her.

The mere thought made her trudge through the snow faster, leaving small footsteps in her wake, but with the amount of snow fall it'd soon appear that she was never there.

The wind around her pulled and pushed the tall dark trees in all directions, displaying its powerful strength to whoever watched. The girl feared she'd blow away at the mere strength of it.

She pulled at her crimson wool coat, hugging it around her closer for more protection from everything, perhaps the slight warmth she found from it would buy her a few more minutes of life.

She trudged aimlessly throughout the lands for what felt like centuries but what was only minutes. It felt like she was walking in circles with how the snow made everything look exactly the same, and how the dark and blizzard combined stopped her from seeing anything farther than 50 feet away.

But even with all of these obstacles that should keep her from finding help or help finding her, it was still not enough to keep the danger away from her.

And I'm not talking about the snow that would freeze her from the inside out, no, I'm talking about the unknown but very real danger that awaited her just beyond what she could not see.

From beyond the snow and darkness lept a pale, dark haired man with eyes the colour of fresh blood and fangs as sharp as knives.

Before she could comprehend what that thing was, crimson blood had already splattered across the snow and on the her face and hair, coating her and staining her snow white hair in the fresh blood of the very creature that was out for her sweet blood.

"It's not my blood." She thought to herself in shock.

The beast's crimson eyes held an undying bloodlust that would've only ended in one way had not those people been hunting it before it even smelled her blood. But its bloodlust slowly faded from its blood red eyes as it turned to ash and was carried away by the wind.

"V-vampire..." a single tear of pure shock fell from her sakura eyes and was quickly frozen by the winter. She looked up at the man that had shot the vampire with wide fear stricken eyes and an agape mouth.

Worry.
That's what the man's eyes portray. He was worried that he'd found a shivering girl standing in a deathly blizzard, one that shown no sign of stopping anytime soon and only standing in a pair of black pants and wool coat.

He swore that her red coat was the only reason he'd been able to see her in this storm. She was a deathly pale; the cold had drained her of any and all color whatsoever, and her hair was already a white that blended perfectly with their snowy surroundings, her eyes were the only feature on her that held a bit of color and they were still a mere pale pink.

She was beautiful, even on the brink of collapsing into an eternal sleep.

The man who killed the beast trudged towards her while the other just stood watching. He unwrapped the black scarf from around his neck and helped put it around her, before asking her a seemingly simple question.

"What's your name, dear?"

She looked at him for a bit, the pale skin between her brows creasing in confusion. She didn't know, but one name kept fluttering around in her mind, whispering it to her in a forgotten voice.

Kiyomi, it said to her.
Kiyomi, it spoke again. It kept pestering her in its wispy almost ghost-like voice until she finally said it allowed, testing the familiarity of it on her tongue.

"Kiyomi."