Chapter 4

The sky had just begun to set– the glory of multicolored hues into shades of crocus, amber and heavenly tangerine. At night, the long paved cobblestone path lit up with hundreds of street lights, the flames of the candles flickering gently and almost soothingly as Caroline wheeled her bike up the driveaway of her villa, the helmet tucked neatly underneath her arm and the front gates closing soundlessly behind her. Trudging up to the front doors, she carefully slipped past the multiple butlers situated in the front parlor. The chandelier in the hall gleamed as she tiptoed up the flight of stairs, not daring to make a sound till she was safely back in her own room.

It wasn't until she locked the door that she laid on her four-poster bed, heaving a sigh from today's events. Her mind whirred from the possibility that in the very island her family owned, in some sort of temple, it could contain the key as to what was inside the box. It was definitely something very treasured, that was certain; or else why would the owner go to great lengths to keep the key hidden for so many years? But her mind soon soothed, her bed must have been cleaned by a maid while she was gone, for her pillows were plumped; bed covers cleaned and mingling with the distinct scent of hyacinth.

No sooner had she finished this thought that she heard a muffled knock. "Yes?" Caroline called out, striding over the well-polished floors and unlocking her door. It was Evelyn, her maid. "Miss. Bellevue, dear, it's time for dinner. May I please accompany you to the dining room? You are arranged to sit anywhere you'd like." Caroline nodded her head as Evelyn called out, "Right this way now, my dear." and led to the deluxe and extravagant dining room.

The dining room was no doubt one of the fanciest and most sumptuous rooms in the house, if that was even possible. Overhead, mini chandeliers covered the ceiling, the crystals, occasionally catching the glint of the light, reflected dazzling rays. A splendid vase of flowers, filled to the brim with efflorescent lilacs, irises and dahlias, stood in the middle of the table. The table, which could easily be accumulated for a banquet, was covered with a white tablecloth, its edges sewed with immaculate floral designs. Caroline soon found her spot right next to Beth and her Father, a black velvet chair with silverware neatly placed on the side. An elegant glass of wine, obviously expensive, sat near her plate. Sitting down on her chair, she noticed Evelyn had quietly backed away, leaving her family to dine in peace.

It wasn't long before one of the cooks, Beatrice, heaved a generous helping of food on her plate. Giving her a small thank-you, Caroline was ready to dig in– when Mr. Bellevue cleared his throat. Mr. Bellevue was a merchant, quite a wealthy one too. His business involved selling all kinds of well-cargo ships, full of exquisite spices and goods to all kinds of places. It was obvious today he was in a decent mood, for he was unusually cheerful. He started off chatting with his usual business, how smoothly it had gone throughout the day, his new collaboration with some of his business partners... it trailed on and on. He finally decided to end it with how he had sent out 6 of his ships at once– one of the biggest investments he had ever had– and if he succeeded, it would be one of the best deals he'd ever make. As his drone-like speech finally ended, they ate their food, until Caroline questioned their Mother's health.

"What about Mother?" she asked meekly as he took a sip of his wine. "Is she doing well?" "Doing excellent in fact, if I must say so myself." he replied back, now looking happier than ever. "The doctor told me she is recovering very well and after tomorrow, she might even be able to come home."

A familiar ringtone broke the silence. "What's it now?" muttered Mr. Bellevue as he reached for his phone. Taking the call, they noticed he seemed cheerful at first, then clearly disturbed, and finally, his voice faltered. "I'm positive there's nothing to worry about, Walter. And besides, it's too late anyways–" he was saying into his phone, more furiously now, about to leave the table. "What do you think I can do about it? Send those ships back? They are already almost a quarter through their journey, for god's sake—" Taking a deep breath and trying to control himself, he spoke in a calm voice. "You are just over worrying about it, honestly; it wouldn't disturb my ships, I don't think–Yes, I'm quite sure–" His good mood disappeared as soon as he ended the call.

"What happened?" whispered Beth as he sat back down onto the table. "Nothing really. That old fool Walter has gotten it all wrong. Thinks a storm is going to interrupt my ships." He glared at his phone angrily. "Wants me to direct the ships to sail back." he snarled, but then he smiled. "I say that's all bullshit. It's obviously not going to happen though, that idiot just wants to meddle with me, doesn't he—" With a quick hearty laugh, he signaled for the maids to clean up, a clear indication that dinner was over. He chucked again, but Caroline noticed that the smile might or might not have met his eyes when he exited the table, leaving the dining room as quickly as he had came.

His glass of wine remained untouched.