The Trip That Changed My Life

I was one of the last people to enter the bus, and the whole class was there.  No one was missing this trip.

I walked in, but then tripped over someone's foot and fell flat on my face.

"Ow," I groaned, the sound muffled by the floor.

Of course it was Flash.

"Hey watch where you're stepping L/n.  You almost messed up my new shoes," he smirked.

I gritted my teeth and kept walking

I saw that Peter was sitting next to MJ.

"Oh, Y/n.  We could move to the back if you want," he offered.

I turned to see that it was completely full.

"Yeah... that's not happening.  It's fine.  I'll find somewhere else," I said, heading farther to the back.  There were two seats, both empty.  I sat there by myself, pulling out my sketchbook.  After all, the ride from Midtown East to the Upper West Side wasn't a quick one.

All of my drawings were of spiders.  Recluse, jumping, black widow, you name it.  Even... tarantulas.  The thing is, I have arachnophobia.  And no, I don't enjoy torturing myself.  I study them to find out every strength and weakness, so I can be ready if I ever come face-to-face with one. It's not weird... I'm not weird.

As I was doodling a sketch of a camel spider, a girl with blonde hair and green eyes sat down next to me.  She had a ponytail and bangs.

To say she was pretty would be an understatement... outright disrespectful.

"Uh, hello?" she said to me, making sure I was still alive.

"Oh... h-hi," I greeted, getting a grip on myself.

"You don't want to sit with your friends?" I asked as politely as a person possibly could.

"What makes you think I have any?" she countered.

"Oh, I'm sorry.  You just seemed like the type."

"I'm just messing with you.  But it looked like you needed some company, and they'll be able to live without me... as humans should."

I chuckled softly at her when she then noticed my sketchbook.

"What are you working on?" she asked peering over.  She quietly yelped when she saw it was a bunch of spiders.

"Sorry, it was too late to warn you," I apologized.

"I'm just not a fan of spiders," she admitted.

"Yeah me either."

"Is that why you have 16 pages filled with them?" she asked.

"Yeah, kinda."

"Well... I think you're a good artist," she complimented.

"Thanks," I replied with a smile.

"You do realize you have on two different socks, right?" she noticed.

"Wait what?!  Does it show?"

She let out a cute laugh.

"Well seeing as I pointed it out..."

"Right.  Stupid question."

"I'm really excited for this trip.  I wanna work at Oscorp like my mom did," she stated.

"Did?"

"She died a long time ago."

"Oh... I'm sorry."

"It's okay.  I remember she used to say that science could solve anything if it was in the hands of the right people."

"Wow.  The most profound thing my mom ever told me was her secret spaghetti recipe," I joked.