chapter 8

...

"Holy shit." Nancy says spinning around to get a whole view of the place. "What happened?"
"Long story, just start screwing in the lights." You say pointing at the colourful bulbs that littered the floor. This plan of theirs was far more elaborate than you had imagined. Especially with the fact that they were going to slice open their hands.
"On three," Jonathan starts. "One."
You take in a sharp breath, the steel pocket knife your father had gifted you years ago hovered above the palm of your hand.
"Two."
Nancy purses her lips, preparing for the pain to come.
"You don't have to do this you know?" Jonathan says quickly.
"Jonathan stop talking." She commands.
"I'm just sayin-"
"Three!" You interrupt him before he convinces the two of you to stop. At first, there's nothing. Sure you were aware that you had sliced open your hand but the pain only hit you once you looked upon the freshly cut wound. Blood drips rapidly onto the carpet. You practically slam into the table, not paying attention to where you were going, but to what you were getting. You clench your wrist as Jonathan pours Alcohol over the gash. Eventually the three of you are bandaged up, and all that there is to do, is wait.
That is until t here's a loud banging on the front door window. You pick up the axe, slowly creeping up to the door. Nancy slowly opens the door, and you raise the axe above your head, ready to strike.
"WOAH WOAH HEY IT'S STEVE!" The unexpected visitor yells, raising his hands above his head in surrender. You lower the axe and it clunks to the floor.
"I almost killed you! I told you not to come here!" You scold him.
"Wait what?" Nancy practically laughs.
"Nancy?" He questions, his eyes landing on her bandaged hand. "Are you hurt? What's going on?"
"No-I'm fine." She said pushing him out. "You need to go!"
Steve notices that all three of your hands are bandaged, yours with more blood soaking through than the others. His look turns harsh.
"Did he do this to you?" He spits glancing between Nancy and Jonathan.
"Look man-" Jonathan is interrupted by the the clicking of Nancy's gun.
"You need to leave." She says sternly. The barrel of the gun was pointed straight at Steve's forehead. "I'm giving you from the count of 5-"
"WOAH HEY PUT THE GUN DOWN!" He pleads with his hands in the air, again.
"Nancy!" You yell in her ear. "Nancy stop it!" She simply rolls her neck around.
"Five."
"WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?" Steve screams again.
"Four." She moves closer to Steve, pointing him towards the door.
"Nancy!" Jonathan puts a hand on her shoulder.
"Three!"
"Nancy seriously!" He shouts at her whilst Steve his yelling nonsensical things in the background.
"Two!"
You turn around to see the lights flickering rapidly.
"NANCY!" You shout louder than any of you had been, spinning her around and pointing.
"Oh shit." She gasps her shoulders drop from their tense position. "It's here!"
         "What's here?" Steve shouts.
         "Where is it?" You say picking up the axe you had left at the Byers house. "Damn it! Where is it?"
        "I don't know-I don't see it!" Jonathan yells, swinging the nailed bat around frantically. The three of you have your backs together, circling around looking for the monster.
         "Can someone explain what the hell is going on!" Steve demands.
         "Would you shut up!" You shout, not even bothering to look at him. Your jaw drops as you slowly turn around to a loud crackling sound. A fleshy wall pushes through the speckled ceiling. Nancy quickly reacts and begins shooting, but it doesn't even seem to be reacting to it. Jonathan jumps and drags her out of the room from behind.
         "Go go go! Run!" He screams. You're about to follow those instructions when you see the Hawkins teen heart throb standing helplessly, staring at the grey faceless monster that had just fallen through the ceiling. You drop your axe and run to him.
         "Come on!" You yell, grabbing his hand and dragging  him through the hallway, the both of you jumping simultaneously over the large bear trap that sat in the middle of it.
         "Jesus! Jesus! What the hell was that?" Steve cries.
         "Shut up!" The three of you yell. Steve slams into you clinging to your arm. You roll your eyes, but you quickly regret that when the monster screeches and you grab onto him.
        "What's it doing?" Nancy whispers.
         "I don't know." Jonathan breathes.
         "Do you hear anything?" She questions. You let out a little bit of a laugh. The four of you inch forward in twos before Jonathan jumps out of the room. You sigh loosening your grip on Steve. Grip. Steve? It seems the both of you were thinking the same thing, as you look at each other, horrified. You practically launch yourselves away from each other, dusting off the non existent dirt. Steve clears his throat. You can't help but stare. Your mind wanders.
What if...no-ew-gross.
You shake your head.
           "Uh hello? Y/n?" Jonathan snaps in your ear. He scrunches his eyebrows.
         "Jeez, man. What?" He holds out a lighter. "Oh.."
         "This is crazy...this is crazy. This is crazy!" Steve mutters throwing his hands up in the air. He jumps over to the phone and begins quickly dialling 911. Not quick enough though, Nancy grabs it out of his hands and throws it to the ground. "What are you doing? Are you insane?!"
          "It's going to come back," Nancy says clearly. "So you need to leave. Right. Now."
"I-I"
         Nancy points to the door and he makes a run for it. The lights begin to flicker again and you let out a broken sigh.
         "Where is it?" You ask again.
         "Come on. Come on you son of a bitch!"   Jonathan yells at the air. Then the lights cut out completely.
"Oh shit."
         Jonathan is tackled to the ground. The monster's face begins to open up, and Nancy fires several bullets but it doesn't care. You look around frantically. You spot the dull red axe you had dropped before. Taking it to the monster's neck, it stumbles back from Jonathan, and redirects its attention to you. Realising you only have a lighter in your hands you let out a stressed laugh before a blood curdling scream. However, a certain someone comes to your rescue.
         Steve Harrington whacks it several times over with the nailed bat, slowly pushing it towards the bear trap. You hear metal clink.
       "It's stuck!" Nancy screams over the screeching of the monster.
         "Now!" Jonathan yells, and you throw in the lighter, watching as the hallway goes up in flames.  You're heaving. It didn't take a lot to knock the wind out of you. A shit immune system with some heart and breathing problems. Sarah got the short end of the stick. You wish it had been you.
         You collapse into the side board holding your chest, counting your breaths. Steve seems to be the only one to notice.
         "Where'd it go?" Nancy crouches through the smoke. "No-it has to be dead. It has to be." Jonathan sighs.
         The lights begin to flicker again, but it's different this time. Controlled.
"Mom?" He says looking to the lights.

         Nancy and Jonathan had followed them outside at this point. Steve stands awkwardly staring at you. You squeeze your eyes shut and put a hand over your chest, trying your best to keep your breathing even.
         "Are you uh-okay?" He says, slowly dropping the bat on the ground.
"Outside.." You point.
          "Yeah-yeah-right okay." He quickly shuffles over to you. He almost carries you, with your arm around his neck, dragging you to the back door through the dissipating smoke. You crouch on the wooden porch, leaning over slightly. Steve just stares, unsure if he should be doing something more.
         "I'm okay.." You laugh. You weren't, not really. But you would be eventually. You hadn't had an attack this bad in a while. He relaxes a bit, but not too much. He's not sure what to make of you. "Just bad genes."
         "You think my jeans are bad?" He says in an attempt to cheer you up. It works. A small smile forms on your face. Stupid joke. You've been in need of one of those for a while. But your smile quickly fades when Jonathan and Nancy burst through the back door.
         "Jesus, you scared us." Nancy sighs. "What were you doing?"
         You slowly push yourself up from the ground, hanging onto the wall for dear life. "Getting some air."
         "Right well we gotta go." And Jonathan runs back through the house. Nancy follows, and you're about to as well, but you stumble a bit. Steve goes to help you but you push him away harshly.
         "I'm fine." You try to stop your voice from cracking as you push yourself through the house to Jonathan's car. He's filled with worry again.
Is she always like this?

Your Father and Joyce had been waiting inside the hospital room, and you were delighted to see that Will was okay, but upon learning about the severe asthma attack you had experienced earlier, a nurse had dragged you away for testing.
You stare blankly at the beeping heart monitor. Your Dad had come to visit you at this point, but they wanted you to stay overnight "just in case" so he went home.
You hear a vase being knocked over. You whip around to see Steve Harrington in the doorway.
"Jesus-how long have you been standing there?" You say jumping.
"Uhh.." He awkwardly avoids your gaze trying to fix everything he just knocked over. Ended up just making it worse. "Like a couple-doesn't matter.."
"Right." You just stare at each other. "Sorry, can I help you?"
"Yeah-yeah uh," he quickly jogs over, inviting himself to sit on the now vacated hospital bed. You give him a disgruntled look, but he doesn't seem to notice. "just kind of wondering what the hell happened back there?"
"You mean the fucking ceiling monster? Yeah no clue, sorry pal." You laugh wandering over to a bowl of oranges, tossing one into your other hand.
"What does that have to do with that Byers kid though?" Steve asks. You cautiously walk back over to the bed, taking a seat next him. You sigh, preparing yourself to explain what little you know.

The two of you ended up talking for several hours. You learned a bit more about the boy you thought was an open book. He wasn't as much of an asshole as you thought he was. You could tell he really did care for Nancy, and yet every time he spoke of her, he did so with hesitance.
"So you actually lost a fight to Jonathan? Puppy dog eyes-couldn't hurt a fly- Jonathan?" You say holding back your giggles.
"Yeah, feel free to not rub it in anymore." He says dragging his fingers down his face. You finally broke, letting out a hearty laugh. His eyes light up. "I like your laugh. It's pretty."
You turn away, trying to hide the heat in your cheeks. You clear your throat. He finally seems to notice what he just said and sinks back in regret.
"Well would you look at the time I should probably be going home I'm sure my parents are worried-get well soon!" He says in a blur of speech, shuffling out the door. From what the two of you had been talking about, that was unlikely. But honestly you too were desperate to get out of the situation and just nod goodbye.
You scrunch into a ball, cringing. You notice a navy blue wind breaker on a chair in the corner of the small hospital room. You swear you've seen it before but you just can't place it. You pick it up, seeing it's a nice brand. You shrug tossing it over to the small table next your bed, making a mental note to bring it home with you tomorrow.
What have you gotten yourself into this time Y/n?

...