Chapter six:

The next few days passed in a slow crawl, almost too painful to bear. Avon was recovering with care from mourning its losses, slowly forming back to its old ways. Angels were quiet and the air was morose, so stale and spiritless, it was as though the sky itself was in a standstill.

Without the guardianship to escape to, everything seemed too normal, lacking the excitement I was used to. I hardly went out anymore, there was nothing to do, but it was also a plus keeping my distance away from Enrique who was hell bent with bringing up our near future which dawned like a cold dark breath down my spine.

"So, it must be nice with all this time off," Gwen said, as she moved around the kitchen, the pan on the stove sizzling.

I groaned as I toyed with my Shadow-dagger, my fingertip balanced over its sharp tip.

"I can't take it anymore," I grumbled. "It's so boring around here. Its like everyone's dead." I instantly regretted my words.

Gwen stirred her pan. "The silence is nice. No more raids, no more demon talk, its giving people a moment to calm down after everything that's happened. It's a good break, Lilith."

I rolled my eyes. "The Council hasn't even said a word about the traitor-have they even found him yet? Tortured him even?"

"Get that stuff out of your head, Lilith. Go flying, go find Enrique and start planning your life. You're a big girl now, second in command, the Guardian commander's new sworn love, you're life is full of excitement," Gwen said enthusiastically.

I rolled my eyes, regretting I'd told her anything about Enrique and my great new future that was approaching like a storm. She didn't seem to see it my way which was the same feeling as being stuck in a tar pit, slowly sinking into your doom.

Suddenly someone knocked on the door and without an answer came barging in.

"Hey, Gwen, Lilith," Thor said nodding to each of us as he walked in, his wings clumsily banging against the door.

"Hey Thor," we both replied.

Thor grinned over to me and I finally noticed that his arm was finally out of its sling. "Lilith, I've brought you a little present."

I frowned as Thor stepped aside and looked over to the doorway where Enrique appeared, grinning coolly at me, dressed in his sleek leather Guardian commander gear, ruffling his wings before stepping inside.

"Gwen, Lilith," Enrique greeted to each of us as he came over and kissed me tenderly on the cheek and sat down at the table beside me.

"Enrique, what a surprise," I said shooting Thor a dark glare as he chuckled under his breath and went to Gwen's side. "What are you doing here?"