chapter two: american girl

SONG:   AMERICAN GIRL - TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS

James'   p.o.v.

The cool afternoon breeze sailed through me as I walked out the front doors of the school, settling into the sound of silence as the students filed away.
I liked the quiet. It was better this way, not a soul to disturb my peace.

Until Jasmine came along. No one ever spoke to me in this school, save for a few monotone words from my teachers, maybe not even directed at me, but here comes this strange American girl with patchy sewn-up jeans, cheap denim jacket the colour of sage, and auburn hair cut in a short mullet. Piercing blue eyes holding my gaze, and lips upturned in a disarming smile.

She was direct, yet kind, and seemed to show an interest in me.
I would use this to my advantage.
Something about her was perfect, complex, yet easy to conquer.

The ideal kill.

But it would be a slow burning flame. Ending her all at once seemed so trivial and boring, I would ease her into the cold hands of death myself.

I was smiling at the thought as Jasmine rushed over to me and greeted me, slightly flustered.

"Sorry I'm late. Needed some water."

"Ok." I replied, shaking the thoughts off.

I'm not much of a talker. Never needed to be.

"I'm starved. Wanna go get something to eat?"
She asked, smiling warmly at me, making me feel as though I could melt from her sweet voice. I wonder how that voice would change when she's screaming for mercy as I murder her.

"Ok."

She took my hand and began to drag me along eagerly, surprising me with her forwardness, until she stopped short.

"Shit, I forgot I don't know a thing 'bout this place. Where do you usually go for a meal?"

'Best American Diner'. The only decent place in town.