the start

"Crystal, wake up," hissed Grace annoyingly. Her brown eyes were glittering mischievously as she shook me and groggily got me out of bed. I hated getting out of bed this early in the morning. It was a muggy and humid Darwin morning in the north of Australia. I felt overheated as I was in purple and navy-blue flannel pyjamas with clouds on them. They were flannel pyjamas because even though it is warm during the day, it always gets chilly at night.

"It's Christmas morning!" Grace shouted over her shoulder, as she skipped down the stairs four at a time barely touching them with her hazel nut hair flying out behind her. I was hot on her heals as she did so. As suddenly as the blink of an eye, her presents were already open and all that remained was a mess of shredded Christmas wrapping paper.

As Mum and Dad dragged themselves grumbling into the room, they complained that we were making too much noise. Grace was dancing around yelling random and unusual things like, "so beautiful," or "more presents,". I just rolled my eyes at her. She could be such a brat some of the time. Then I carefully open my single, tiny, lonely, present.

"Oo, I wonder what it could be?" I thought. It was a beautiful golden ring entwined with silver sculpted lotus flowers set with sapphires. My eyes shone and twinkled like falling stars streaking through the mid-night blue sky with the moon at its fullest. As I felt the beautiful smooth gold and silver ring slip onto my finger, I had a tingling sensation that something was wrong.

I stood up to go and show of the ring to the rest of my family the ring when suddenly, I felt a severe searing pain shoot through my finger like a fiery arrow shattering a pane of glass. "Ahhh!" I screamed in excruciating pain. My family came rushing over as they saw me sprawled out on the floor writhing with extreme unbelievable pain. My blonde hair was spread everywhere over the floor and my deep blue eyes were unfocused.

They all saw the ring and gasped at its beauty, but when they saw how the lotus flower had caught around my finger grace whimpered.

"Help me," I managed to whisper through all the pain. As I saw my finger, I thought that I would pass out. It was a beastly purple and blue colour swelling enormously and turning black at alarming rate. Mum got an icepack; dad got a cup of water to put my finger in to help the ring slip off. Grace, good old Grace, was taking care of me by keeping me conscious and asking questions to try to understand what had happened.

When the ice was on for a few minutes, my finger stopped swelling enough to put ice cold water on it. Then we carefully and gently slipped the ring off without breaking it, although my beautiful royal blue dress I got for Easter was soaked.

"Well, that was a disappointing present we got for you," whimpered Dad regretfully. "Your sister hoped you would like it too, although she was jealous because it was so beautiful," he called as he took the rest of the water away.

"I'm glad you're ok," whispered Grace with relief. Then she dove at me and gave me a huge tackling hug. As she embraced me, I felt her quaking and quivering with fright. I hugged her tighter than I had ever before and I was grateful that she was my sister. I whispered in her ear.

"Thank you for taking care of me and for being the perfect little sister for me." I exclaimed.

"you annoying little..." she said then she slapped me across the face.

The end