𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐈

108 AC

108 AC

The dark clouds caged the sun and its light obscuring the sky in darkness. Daenera somehow found it comforting as the thunders rumbled and the pitter-patter of raindrops danced rhythmically against the glass windows of Dragonstone.

The dim light trickled in her chambers through the rain-soaked windows as she lay in the comfort of her warm bed and struggled not to drift off to sleep on this dreary morning. Her drowsy lavender eyes were drawn to the soft pink roses in the antique vase on her nightstand as she started to caress the delicate petals. The sweet aroma of the flowers filled the room- the bright flowers contrasting her agonizing thoughts - "The thunderstorms felt like home instead of chaos. Maybe being named Stormborn was justified afterall - thunderstorms bring rain, don't they? And rain washes away everything, maybe it will wash the ache in my heart, the ache of not finding my bonded, maybe it will settle my restless heart and maybe I will stop dreaming of red eyes that leaves a sharp pain in my heart"

The creaking of doors alerted her, yet an air of stubbornness enveloped her as she continued to weave her small fingers through the soft petals.

"Princess, you need to get up" her lady-in-waiting Cassandra Baratheon announced, resolutely ignoring the Princess's grumpy behavior. Daenera in return ignored her friend and burrowed herself under the covers of her large bed seeking comfort.

Cassandra gave a sign and pulled the silk covers with surprising strength, startling Daenera  "Cassandra! must you do this to me?"

"Of course I do! I have a warm bath waiting for you and your favorite food to break your fast" Cassandra argues in return and pushes the princess out of the bed "My cosy warm bed" Daenera thinks morosely looking longingly at the bed and grumbles a bit but complies with the demand nonetheless.

"Dany I promise, you will find it" Daenera stiffens at the sound of Cassandra's soft yet determined voice.

"Do you believe so?" Both of them steadily ignore the slight tremble in Daenera's voice.

Cassandra stops arranging the covers and turns around to face her Princess, her blue eyes fiery as determined as that of a true Baratheon "I know so!" and then a bright grin stole her face as she continued in a sing-sing voice " now I want a smile on your face because I have a surprise for you. The faster you get dressed the faster you'll get to see your surprise"

Daenera narrowed her eyes immediately and questioned in a blaise tone barely suppressing the excitement in her voice "A surprise? What is it?"

"If I tell you then it won't be a surprise anymore will it?" Cassandra laughed

" But I want to know... won't you tell me Cass please..." Daenera pouted her plump lips and turned her large lavender doe eyes into a pleading gaze - a look at which nobody can deny her anything

"I hate you," Cassandra said in a deadpan voice and promptly grimaced for giving into the princess's demand so easily. Oh well, the soon-to-be nine-year-old was too adorable to say 'no' anyway. Nevertheless, Cassandra gave the princess a soft smile "Prince Daemon is waiting for you Daenera "

As if those words were magic- Daenera's entire visage appeared to brighten, a genuine smile tugged at her lips, and those eyes, especially those mesmerizing eyes, turned even brighter.

"Really? But how..." Daenera hated how her voice hitched, hated how tears stung her eyes, hated how she had to leave her poor mother alone in a court full of vultures just so she could breathe, hated to leave her beloved uncle- the only person who makes this cruel and dreary world a bit brighter with happiness, the only person ready to draw his sword against any slight towards her.

"You have been upset for quite some time Daenera. And tomorrow is your name day, so I wanted to cheer you up and last night you were very agitated. You also mentioned feeling something, but couldn't name it, so I asked Maester Gerardys to send a missive to Prince Daemon. He is the only one that makes you smile nowadays" Cassandra replied in an uncharacteristic shy tone and Daenera thanked the fourteen flames for giving her such a kind-hearted friend who was like an older sister to her, more than her own.

The young lady Baratheon let out surprised laughter as she was pulled into a tight hug by the young princess.

"Thank you so much, Cassandra. I can't believe that I have to thank your stupid oaf of a father's greed for your presence in my life! Oh well, I just have to make sure that you become the heir to Stormlands." 

And just like that Daenera left Cassandra Baratheon with her mouth hanging open - an unladylike behavior that will make her Septa bemoan at her but she could not care less, her beloved princess, dear friend and the sister of her heart had finally lost her mind! - and danced out of her chambers for her long-awaited bath.

AN: Hey guys this will probably be the last decent update I can give because my exams are coming up and I can't promise you any updates anytime soon. But I will try to update if not the other two books then at least this one. hope you like this chapter, let me know what you think😊