CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

Evelyn did not see another person for two months. Trapped inside the four cobbled walls was where she remained, as though discarded like a broken toy. She was unsure if this was some kind of tactic, some kind of way to break her apart, but she refused to break. She knew he was coming for her; she knew he would be out there, searching night and day.

Evelyn let herself sink into the bed with a sigh, she had to get out.

"Evelyn,"

She jumped, squealing as she heard the door swing open to reveal Albus Dumbledore stood alone. "Come with me to my office, I think we ought to have a conversation."

"You left me here." She growled, "did you forget about me?"

"I did not, but it appears that perhaps someone else has..." He trailed off, leading the way out of the teachers' quarters, Evelyn following slowly behind him. She felt heavy, she felt tired, she felt as though she was dying.

As soon as she entered the office, she paused, it appeared this would not be a conversation they had alone. "Who are they?"

"Apologies Evelyn, this is the Order of the Phoenix, I assume Tom told you all about us," he seemed content using Tom's name, as though he was any other person. "I asked a few members to attend, I thought the information you share will be useful for us all to hear." He turned to face the small group, "this is Sirius, Alastor and Remus." Evelyn stared at them, expressionless. "Do take a seat, especially in your condition," he looked at her frail figure, beckoning her to the chair before his desk.

Hesitantly, she made her way over.

"Now, I would like to hear from you. I would like you to tell me," he looked at Sirius, Alastor and Remus behind him, "I would like you to tell us everything."

She said nothing.

"How about we begin with how you got to the Manor? Were you taken? When?" He pressed her, "Evelyn, I assure you it is in your best interests to share."

"I was here..." she muttered softly.

"Pardon?"

"I was here. I came back, to take you up on your foolish offer. I thought I needed your protection," she almost laughed, it had been so long ago. "He was here too," she stopped herself before she said too much.

"When was he here?" Remus' eyes widened.

"He was in this castle?"

"I believe Evelyn is referring to many moons ago. He approached me for a job you see, for the position of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher." Albus shook his head, "of course I turned him away. But it appears during that time, he must have bumped into Evelyn, and taken her with him."

"So you see, I didn't follow him like you seem to think. I did not chase after him, I did not search for him." She knew he thought the worst of her, even if he did not say so.

"But he took you back, where? To the Manor?" Sirius cut in, "has the Malfoy Manor always been his headquarters?"

"He took me somewhere." She paused, looking up at Sirius, "you look familiar."

"Is that an accusation?" Remus huffed, "this woman is a liar Albus, she is insinuating Sirius is somehow involved with that."

"I am not!" But hearing his name made something click, she closed her eyes, picturing her first few months in the Manor. Her conversations with Tom, her time in the room, her conversations with Regulus. "Regulus Black," she said simply, watching as Sirius' eyes seemed to flutter.

"You saw him?"

"Sirius do not listen!"

But Sirius kept pressing her, ignoring Remus, "tell me. Is the boy alive?"

She did not truly know the answer, but given that she had not seen him, she shook her head. "No."

"Sirius-"

"Remus, that's enough." Alastor cut in, his firm voice echoing across the office before turning to face Sirius, "we shall see Kreacher later if we can, if Kreacher fails to respond to you, Regulus is alive." He patted Sirius on the shoulder.

"I agree with Alastor, you have no reason to trust Evelyn."

"I didn't have to say anything, anything at all! If you do not trust me, then why even ask me questions, why not just kill me?" Evelyn shouted, anger filling her to the brim.

"We are not killers," Remus stepped forward, "we do not stoop to his level."

"Tell that to the families of those dead in the Malfoy Manor!"

"Evelyn," Albus joined in, "need I remind you we are in a War. If anyone threatens the lives of the Order, we fight back. We do not start the fights, we do not use Unforgiveables as the Ministry has been doing, we simply deflect the casters spell."

"They are still dead." Had the Order not come to the Malfoy Manor, they would all still be alive. In Evelyn's mind, that made them as good as guilty.

"We cannot trust what the girl is saying...."

"But" Sirius cut in, "we could trust what she has seen. Albus," he turned, as though asking for permission.

"Alastor, would you be up to the task?" Albus turned to face the scarred man, who limped over to Evelyn, nodding.

"I fear that there may be protection, some kind of enchantments, we may not get everything we need at once," Albus nodded again and Alastor stared deep into Evelyn's eyes, "Legilimens."

He entered Evelyn's mind with one swift movement. At first, it was just flashes, blurred faces, masks, darkness. Hundreds of images were playing in her mind at once, she was trying to shield, to keep him out.

But Alastor was more powerful, he took a deep breath, before going in again. This time, the flashes lasted longer, seconds of scenes played through her mind on repeat. Like lightning striking, they hit him with force, until one finally struck right through him.

He pulled away, his eyes wide, "Albus." He gulped, turning to face his bearded figure, "is it true?"

"I believe so Alastor. I believe we have our weapon." He smiled, turning to look directly at Evelyn's stomach.