Chapter Three: The giraffe, the leopard and the zebra.

Tugging consciously at my bikini top I studied my reflection in the full length mirror. I was all too aware of how much flesh was on display. Years of swimming and netball practice had left my body slim and sculpted, I knew many people would be jealous of my figure. I just wasn't one of those girls who liked to display it. I preferred baggy clothes, jumpers, jeans... I preferred comfort over style.

With a sigh I returned to my suitcase to grab my beach towel. The contents of my bags were strewn across the bed, the only items of clothing I'd ever worn before being the clothes I'd arrived in. I would get Rayne and Georgia back for this, they wouldn't know what hit them.

"See I don't know what your problem is, you look absolutely amazing!" Georgia smiled at me from where she was sitting at the breakfast bar as I walked into the kitchen. Growling a response I slammed my bag down on the counter and stormed over to the fridge. All seriousness of my movements was lost as my flip-flops slapped against my feet.

"I agree, you look stunning. However, why do you still have your ponytail in? The whole reason we bought you a new wardrobe is to have you looking fierce this summer. And trust me ponytails were so last year" Rayne states coming over to the fridge also. I look at him from the side of my eyes. It's no wonder he always has guys and girls fawning over him, his body was perfect; just the right amount of muscle, tanned skin. It wasn't hard to see why he was so confident.

"I like ponytails" I stated grabbing a bottle of water and turning so that my hair deliberately hit Rayne in the face. "Now are we going to the beach or not?" I added, ignoring the looks that Rayne and Georgia shot each other.

I draped my towel over one shoulder and carried my bag on the other, trying to cover as much skin as possible as we wandered the beach looking for a place to settle.

"Stop hiding yourself" Rayne scolded, more than once, Georgia nodding in agreement each time.

"I'm actually trying to hide the bikini. Did you deliberately make us look like we're escaped animals from an African safari?" I asked taking in Rayne's giraffe print shorts and Georgia's leopard swimsuit. The two only giggle as I roll my eyes at them.

"Hot guys, 1 o'clock" all three of us said simultaneously. My eyes fixed on the group of topless guys playing volleyball a way down the beach. Turning to look at Georgia and Rayne they nodded in agreement and we adjusted our course slightly, heading for a spot on the dunes not far from the guys.

The sun was still hot even though it was beginning to get lower in the sky. We'd sat far enough away from the guys to not seem stalkers, but close enough to admire their physique and catch occasional parts of their conversations. One guy in particular looked very familiar but I just couldn't place him.

"Rayne you should go ask to join in... You never know. You might get lucky" Georgia said giving Rayne a wink and a nudge.

"Well, I've probably got a better chance than you two" he retorted before continuing "I mean the prude and the psycho bitch" he pointed at me and then Georgia as he spoke. As Georgia gasped in offence and began some smarmy reply I raised my spoon laden with yoghurt and flicked it into his hair. Both of them stopped dead, Georgia trying to fight the laugh desperately trying to escape her lips.

Rayne was hot on my heels as I jumped up and sprinted off.

"I'm so sorry!" I yelled over my shoulder hoping to diffuse the situation. If there was one thing in the world Rayne prized most it was his hair, even touching it accidentally could have you losing a hand. I giggled as he swore at me still chasing me, his longer legs letting him gain on me easily.

"Freaking yoghurt Willow! I'm gonna be smelling like a frube all night now!" He shouted, almost catching me. Before I could respond a yell from ahead of me had me turning my attention back to where I was going. Just in time to see a volleyball hurtling towards my face.

I landed hard on my back, the wind instantly knocked from my lungs, my nose throbbing, my vision blurred as tears sprang instantly into my eyes. Rayne was by my side in seconds, rolling around in the sand laughing hysterically. with a groan I threw my hand out trying to hit him, unsuccessfully. Suddenly a head blocked out the sun.

"I am so sorry. I didn't see you coming and I was trying to hit David, but he moved... And well, you didn't." It took my eyes a few seconds to adjust to the light coming around the stranger's head so I could make out his face. It was the one that had seemed familiar from earlier and this close I saw why.

"Carter?" Rayne asked when he managed to stop laughing. I didn't need Carter to answer, it was him alright. Star baseball player, most popular guy in school. The same Carter I'd had a crush on since third grade. Carter looked from Rayne to me and back again.

"Rayne? How are you man?" He asked before turning back to me and offering me his hand. The look in his eyes told me he was trying to place me, but there was no hint of recognition. Ignoring his offer of a helping hand I awkwardly climbed back onto my feet just as Georgia joined us.

"Oh my God, Willow. Are you okay? Come on we'll get back to the house and get an ice pack for your nose". She must have seen the tears in my eyes as she draped her arm over my shoulder and led me away. I turned once to look back and saw Carter and Rayne engrossed in conversation. Noticing me looking in their direction Rayne yelled over.

"I'm gonna play for a bit. But I'll meet you guys back at the house to go shopping!" As he spoke Carter turned to watch us go. I was sure he still had no idea who I was.

"Did you know that guy Rayne was talking to?" Georgia asked as we collected our towels and headed back along the beach. I shrugged and was quiet for a while before answering.

"I go to school with him. I have all my life, but he doesn't even know who I am... He didn't even recognise me". My voice sounded pathetic even to my own ears, my shoulders slumped and my feet dragged as we walked. I was deflated. Even out here away from the cliques and the bustling halls, I was invisible.