seven

Diana's words electrified Tom with a twisted thrill, and his heart pounded in his chest.

Whether due to his inflated ego or a swelling affection for her, he burned in that moment to pour out his innermost secrets. He wanted to let her glimpse the anguish he had suffered all his life and for her to know all the terrible things he had done. He wanted to be truly known by her. But he choked, the grim confessions catching in his throat.

For the first time in his life, Tom Riddle found himself at a loss for words.

He yanked Diana by the wrist and pulled her behind a great swath of dark drapery as he did the only act he could think of.

His trembling hands held her face and hungrily drew her towards him. Diana instinctively wrapped her arms around him, one hand behind his back and the other lightly touching the soft dark hair just above his neck. As their lips met, Tom pressed her body tightly against his with a hard grip.

After a few minutes, Diana pulled back smiling, saying, "We shouldn't tarry here,"

Tom nodded. His heart was only pounding harder now, and his head was swimming euphorically. He lifted a hand to smooth his hair as they split.

The two reemerged into the party greatly flushed and slightly breathless. It had seemed that no one had seen them, though, to Diana's great relief.

Slughorn was calling everyone to dinner, which passed by quickly with pleasant conversation and course after course of scrumptious cuisine.

Soon the meal had finished and people were beginning to wander over to a table where there were desserts and after dinner drinks.

Tom and Diana got up to head over but Slughorn approached. "Tom, might I have a word? I have another student here I would like for you to meet,"

Tom grudgingly obliged, promising Diana he would return to her in just a minute.

Diana floated over to the table to find a treat.

Nott, Avery, Malfoy, and Lestrange were tightly congregated together in a corner nearby. All four had dates beside them as well.

"So, Diana," one girl began with a giggle, "you must regale us. Tell us what it is like dating the famous Tom Riddle,"

"Errm," Diana started, not knowing exactly what to say, "He isn't my boyfriend. I mean, we aren't technically dating,"

"Could have fooled me," pitched in another.

"Why is that guy all we ever talk about?" complained Malfoy sourly. He nursed a dark, caramel colored drink in his hand as he leaned lazily against the wall.

"Jealous, Malfoy?" asked another one of the dates.

"Don't be absurd," he retorted, rolling his eyes.

Diana searched for any reason to leave this conversation so she took this opportunity to excuse herself to the loo.

As she was walking out in the corridor to the nearest girl's room, she was startled to hear Malfoy's voice echo behind her.

"Can I just ask you one thing?"

She spun around.

"I mean," he continued, "I think you owe it to me after you shrugged me off before,"

"What is it?" Diana folded her arms, taking a deep breath.

"Well, I suppose that is my question. Why?" he walked closer to her. "I mean, do you even know how much my father contributed to your father's campaign? You should be thanking me,"

"No, and I don't care. That's my father's office, not mine. What does that even have to do with me?"

"Everything!" he snapped in a low voice as he got closer, "Just think of how someone like me could support you. I would take such good care of you, Diana,"

Diana's short cold laugh echoed in the passageway. "I don't want your gold,"

"I could love you like he never could," Malfoy continued.

Suddenly, Diana saw Tom's frame dart out the door of the party and pound angrily toward them.

"She doesn't need any more support, Malfoy," he spat venomously.

With his wand in one hand, Tom's other hand slammed into Malfoy's shoulder, turning him away from Diana.

Diana stumbled backwards in shock, taking in the scene before her.

"I don't really think that's for you to say," Malfoy returned, grasping for his own wand in his pocket. "After all, as she was just saying, you aren't her boyfriend,"

Tom grabbed Malfoy by the front of his shirt, pinned him against the castle wall, and pointed the wand so hard against Malfoy's neck that it pushed painfully deep into the skin.

"If you so much as look in her direction again, I will blow your body to pieces." He grated, pushing the wand further. "Don't think I won't do it,"

Malfoy swallowed, fear in his eyes. Tom had a crazed look, his usually neat dark waves disheveled and his typically fair skin scarlet with fury.

Tom stared at him menacingly and said with in a faintly audible snarl, "You have no idea the things I have done for less,"

Diana inhaled sharply.

Tom heard her and glanced over for a moment, then his eyes were back on Malfoy. He released him, saying, "Not a word." Malfoy nodded quickly and scurried back to the party.

"You didn't need to do that, Tom," Diana breathed. Her heart was racing and she was shaking, barely able to stand up. His violent threat had not just scared Malfoy.

"Actually, I did," Tom said, rolling up his sleeves. He sounded unnervingly calm given how he had just behaved. "I cannot have anyone thinking they can disrespect me,"

"You? But he was talking to me,"

"He was doing it because he knew it would bother me. Because he knows I'm-" he paused, searching for the right word. "Interested."

"The world doesn't revolve around you, Tom," she shot back, her voice rising.

"Maybe it should," he answered cheekily with a smirk. Deep down, he wasn't kidding.

She tried to walk away but he caught her by her upper arm.

"Let go."

"I will," he replied in a calm, controlled voice. His eyes were staring intensely into hers. "If I have your word you won't tell a soul what happened here. I have a certain reputation to protect, Diana,"

The words chilled her. She was brought back to a traumatic evening in July with her father's advisors and partners. She remembered feeling like a worthless pawn in that moment, and she felt it again now.

Tears began to stream down her face. "Just let me go, Tom!" she shrieked.

Tom considered many options in a fraction of a second. He couldn't have her raising her voice like that – not here. He could have rendered her unconscious, but then he would have to transport her body without getting caught. He also could have used the Imperious curse, but she never would would have forgiven him that.

He whipped his wand out and - "Silencio!"

Diana was furious. She pulled out her own wand to reverse it, but of course couldn't speak the incantation. She moved toward Tom to do the only thing she really could, which was smack him.

She was no match for his tall, strong physique. He grabbed her wrists to stop her blows, and she tried with all her might to wriggle free.

"Stop!" he pleaded. This was barely an improvement.

Diana screamed at the top of her lungs, but try as she might, no sound came out.

Suddenly Vanessa emerged from the party, probably heading toward the restroom herself.

Tom noticed her and had a decision to make...