Chapter 1

Chapter 1

If she wasn't his best friend, Mason would have raised hell. He said he would never step foot back in the hell whole they grew up in. But for her, it wasn't as bad so she stayed. And now, Mason's old home is where she is getting married. Or at at least near enough to their old home that he doesn't like it. But he would do anything for Rose. That's at least what he tells himself as he walks out of the airport with Rose next to him.

She had spent Halloween with him at his latest temporary housing two states over. She claimed she needed a week to convince him to come home for her engagementfestivitiesand dress finding. She really didn't need any time. Mason would brave death for her. The two had already been to hell and back. There's no way he would abandon her now.

He checks his phone to make sure they have the right Uber before hopping in the car. Rose excitedly babbles on about her fiancé and her relations. Giving Mason the low down before he meets them all for the first time. But he's distracted by the view of the city as they drive. It's been four years since he's stepped foot here. Not a minute after his college graduation did he leave to float around the country for some firm that scouted him after graduation. He was happy with that despite his dreams of what his life would be like from his younger years. He may not have a pair or a family of his own, but he has his work and his freedom. And no one would take that from him. He wouldn't let them. Not again.

"Ah!" Rose dives across Mason's lap. "That's Blackwell corp.'s main building!"

Mason stares at the big fancy sky scraper. They have a hand in a lot of the stem fields. He's familiar with them in his line of work as well. The firm he works under has a contract with the Blackwells, both for personal and company busines.

"Laena works for the son of the owner. He's next in line." She rambles on. "They seem like really closed off people but they're super sweet."

They continue on before they pull up to an old greek inspired building. The stairs lead up to an entrance framed by columns. The whole place made of stone. The two get out when the car stops. Rose guides them to a side door where the two can get changed out of their airport clothes, something Mason was thankful for. No one wants to stay in their airport clothes longer than necessary.

Men in suites come and take their lunge. Mason hesitates, trying to take it back. "Um, I need my clothes for tonight first."

Rose takes the handle out of his hand so the man can take his stuff away. "Don't worry about it. I had some clothes for the party bought for us."

"My stuff. . ."

"They'll take it over to your room at the hotel." She explains as she starts to change.

Mason runs his hands over the expensive vibrant material as his friend gets her hair and makeup done by some people who had shuffled in. He hesitantly takes the clothes off the hangers before putting them on. In the mirror he looks like someone else. Someone high class. He doesn't recognize the person starring back at him. It's been ages since he has seen himself put together like this.

"Wow," Rose gasps. "You look amazing."

"I'm sure I would have looked great in my own clothes," he deadpans as he tries to do something with his long black hair.

Rose guides him to chair for her stylists to work on him next. "Of course you look great in your clothes, But I want to spoil you while you're back here. Can't I give you the high life. . . And maybe hook you up with a guy in this circle? So I can have my best friend in my circle and we can live out our spoiled dreams together?"  

He scowls at her. "Why on this earth would I care about living like this? Or dating anyone let alone around here?"

"You used to love this fancy stuff and we dreamed of living like this!" She exclaims as she smooths out his jacket.