Chapter 5

"(Name) why must you always try so hard to prepare for the festival of fools when all it is is a horrid way to tell the world how ugly you can be?" Alice crossed her arms over her chest at you while you just chuckled, shaking your head.

"Because it means more customers. And I need buyers to keep my business going. You know this." You plucked an apple from a basket at a shop you were at, inspecting that it was as ripe as the salesman say. "And besides it's not all about that. It's a time of fun and magic. So I quite enjoy myself when the mysteries happen." You took two more apples and placed them in your basket and paid the clerk.

"I know that. Your shop is your whole world. It's just..." You watched her as she walked beside you to the next food stand.

"Just what?"

"I just don't understand how you can enjoy something like gypsies. I mean it's full proof that they have some sort of sorcery, meaning they serve no one but the devil." You rolled your eyes when Alice whispered the last two words.

"Well if you believe that, have you seen them use their 'magic' in an evil way? Like have they harmed someone on purpose?" You asked, seeing another fellow baker selling their bread.

"I've heard many! Like one time someone was cursed by a gypsy and she started throwing up frogs." You stared at Alice with a blank expression on your face.

Oh please! She's not serious is she? First of all how is that possible and second who keeps making up these ridiculous stories??

"I sometimes forget that you believe everything you hear. You know people could be lying to you just to make up stories that aren't true." You left the bakery stand and continued deeper into town with Alice at your side.

"Why would they do that if they've seen it happen?" She asked.

"So you're saying that you believe them? Even if they could be lying?" You looked at her with a raised brow.

"I'm not saying that. It's just that it makes sense that a gypsy would do this to someone." Just listening to this nonsense coming out of Alice's mouth made you want to give her full proof that gypsies are nothing like how people make them out to be.

"So if I tell you something about a gypsy I know. You'd believe I wasn't lying to you?" You asked, Alice perking up at the sound of new info.

"Oh? Something like what?" She asked, leaning close to you.

"That I'm in love with a gypsy." You said just out of the bag. Alice froze, body, face and all. She didn't say anything not even the sound of her breathing through her nose was heard. It's like her whole body and mind just shut down. "Um, Alice? Are you okay?" What you didn't expect was her to bust out laughing.

"Bahahahahhahah! Oh (Name) that's a good one! Let me guess! It's the handsome one that everyone talks about?" She wipes a tear from her eye.

"What? That's—"

"(Name) I was expecting something more creative than that. Literally every woman in Paris wants to be with that walking, talking tall glass of water and drink him up. So it's not surprising that you think he's handsome." Alice pats your cheek, a giggle would escape every few seconds.

"But it's tru—"

"If you're gonna keep lying to me it's gonna be difficult figuring out if you're telling the truth." She said walking ahead of you, waving her hand.

"She really thinks I'm lying to her. Of course. The one time she doesn't believe me." You puffed, catching up to her.

~🔔~