Architects

Stephen sighed once arriving at the offices area, brushing away a few specks of ashes from his shoulder.

"Steven." He turned around, finding a familiar, well dressed middle-aged figure of a man walking up to him. "I see you have returned from the pits."

"Ah, Shawn. I'll have the paperwork done for them in a few minutes. The new area is coming around nicely." Stephen took a look over his documents, as if to double check if everything was in place, which was slightly ridiculous since he had filed them up himself. He turned back to Shawn. "Do you need me for something?"

"I have thought it over with the board about Michael and we have gone through the paperwork."

"Oh, have you all come to an agreement?" Stephen leaned in unconsciously, interested.

"Yes, he's getting his first solo project as an architect." Shawn nodded. "I'm curious to see what he comes up with."

"That's good to hear!" Stephen cleared his throat at the outburst. "I'm sure he'll do great." He said with more control this time.

"We'll see about that." The other said, emotionless as always.

Stephen smiled slightly at those words. He knew that Shawn had a soft spot for Michael, in his own way.

"By the way I'm glad you're all finally listening to my inputs, after all, I am... Part of the board..." Stephen chuckled lightly and Shawn simply arched an eyebrow at him. "And, um, it's actually Stephen, with a 'ph'." He quickly added, knowing the other was ready to turn and leave. "I know normally it's spoken as a 'v', but it's not in this case."

"I know. That's why I say it wrong." Shawn nodded without skipping a beat, a slight pull to the corner of his lip, before turning around and making his way down the corridor.

"Of course." Stephen smiled forcefully, before going his own way.

Once putting away his files and making sure he didn't have anything else to do that was urgent, he made his way to the open offices, hearing the familiar sound of typewriters, computers and pens scratching on paper. He so much preferred the calm, relaxed vibe of the offices over the other areas of the Bad Place.

He thought about talking to Dave, since he was the one right above Michael, but he decided to go straight to the point.

Stephen walked into the "Architects Only" area and smiled once seeing the hunched form of the newly promoted architect scribbling away on his blueprints, totally disconnected from the rest of the office. He approached, his presence clearly going unnoticed by the other.

"Hello, Michael."

Michael did a double take, so absorbed in his work as he was, and finally seemed to notice he had been spoken to.

"Ah, Stephen!" The new architect shot up, towering over his much smaller superior. He seemed to not know what to do with the pen in his hand, before finally resting it back on the table. "I should thank you! For talking the others into giving me this chance!"

"You should thank Shawn." Stephen shrugged as if it was no big deal. "He is the one who has the last word."

"True. But I know the others wouldn't have said yes without your help." Michael was quick to point out.

"Of course." Stephen nodded, leaning back a bit as if to not have to crane his neck up to look at the other. He smiled crookedly, hands in his pocket. "You better do a good job. Don't smear my reputation to the big boss."

"No! No! Of course not!" Michael waved his hands with his eyebrows knitted, before his expression changed, returning to the beaming smile from before. "I have an idea... A new idea I think will change how we do things here."

Stephen's eyebrows shot up.

"That's a big thing to say..."

"Yes, maybe that's a bit too much..." Michael grumbled, shaking his head, but his joyful energy never seemed to wane. "But I can tell you that it'll definitely be fun ." He smiled, flicking his pointing finger up to emphasize the last word. "And different."

"I believe you." Stephen chuckled, leaning his head to the side with a gentle smile. "That's why I singled you out for them so much."

Michael looked up from his work, which he had taken a second to admire once more, a smile gracing his old-man features. He reached a hand and rested it on Stephen's shoulder, patting it lightly - much to said demon's appreciation.

"Can I see it?" Stephen requested, curiosity already eating at him.

"Ah, of course!" Michael took a step back, gesturing for the other to take his place. "It's only the first draft though." And he almost sounded bashful.

Stephen's eyes ran over the many sketches and notes, but he locked eyes with the title Michael had left on the top of the blueprints.

"Neighborhood 12358W, the Good--" He processed everything he was seeing and reading, finally understanding what the other had been working on, what he had described as both "fun" and "different". Stephen blinked, looking up at Michael. "Woah, Michael..."

And, hands in his pockets, leaning back with his chin lowered but still with a proud energy pouring from every single atom of his human suit, Michael beamed at Stephen.