7 | who turned out the lights?

"Violet, darling, I don't have long left."

"Please tell me this is a sick joke."

"You know I wouldn't do that to you,"

"Grandad you're the only one I have left, please hold on for me."

"I'm sorry, sweetheart."

Violet stared into the chocolate brown eyes mirroring her own, and her heart broke as she watched them close, never to open again.

Darkness.

Violet shot up in bed escaping the darkness in her nightmares only to see it continue in her reality. Her hand frantically waved out to find the switch for the lamp beside her as she muffled her sobs to not wake Kitty beside her.

She finally grasped it in between her fingers with huge effort, but it did not turn on.

"Oh come on, not now of all times!" she quickly got out of bed and went into the hallway to try and turn on that light switch, perhaps it was just a faulty bulb.

It wasn't.

"No, no, no!" she whispered through gritted teeth. Right, she just needed to figure out how to fix all this. Her last resort had quickly taken first position in what choices she had left.

She had to ask Mike and Alison.

Avoiding the dodgy floorboards was a task in itself that despite Violet's shaken up form she was still able to complete it successfully. Her hand grasped the golden handle of the door and turned it at a snail's pace.

"Mike... Alison? Hello?" she whispered out into the room. Then there was a groan and the sound of someone moving in the rustling sheets.

"Violet is that you? What time is it?" Alison tiredly asked, eyes shut as she sat up.

"Umm, yeah, it's half 3 in the morning. I was just going to say, the lights aren't working, how do I fix it?" she sheepishly requested, lips folding inwards so she could wet them.

"I'm not even going to ask why you're up at this time ughhh, go down to the basement, flip the switches on the fuse box that are pointing down," Alison's words slurred with fatigue as she falls back asleep.

"Thanks Alison," Violet whispered "wish it was that easy for me to get back to sleep." she chuckles sadly to herself.

~~~~~

She had finally made it to the basement after a lengthy process of navigating the house in the dark. It would have been much easier if she grabbed her phone on the way down but in her hasty moves she had forgotten to.

Just as she opened the door at the top of the basement stairs, a figure creeped past and headed into a different room of the house.

"Right, flip all the switches that have gone down, simple as. Now where is that emergency light..."

"Oh it should be just behind you," a different voice rang out, a sort of common one, you could describe it as.

"Ah!" Violet screamed in shock and as she did she falls backwards into a switch which dimly lit the room.

"There you go you found it!" a different voice said.

"Oh wow... sorry guys, I forgot you were down here," Violet said catching her breath, hand on her heart as she looked at the plague ghosts in front of her.