4. Someone at the Door

☆

When Amelia's mother got home later that day around 6 she started cooking dinner. As she finished she called Amelia down who didn't bound down the stairs this time. She walked down the stairs rather slowly. Her mind was racing and Amelia was still quite shocked she would be studying abroad.

Amelia sat at her usual spot across from her mother at the table. But instead of the normal cheerful dinner conversations the three all sat in silence. Then Rebecca decided she would just break it. "I would start packing tonight Amelia." She said with a serious face. Amelia looked up from the food she was previously poking with her fork to her mother. "It's not like I'm leaving tomorrow, right?" The last part of her sentence sounded a little panicked. Would she be leaving tomorrow? She wouldn't even be able to say goodbye to her friends.

Rebecca locked her eyes with Amelia's. "Your new school starts September 1st Amelia." Amelia's eyes went wide. "That's only two days from now!" Amelia stood up panicked and angry. She slammed her hands against the table, not too hard due to her respect for the furniture.

Rebecca gave her daughter a stern look. "Do not hit the table Amelia." Amelia's confused look turned into a frown. "That is all you say. I just find out I'm leaving my parents to move halfway around the world to someplace in Europe! And that's all you say! Mama I can't go, I'm not ready to go yet mama."
Amelia's voice was strained and the fear was starting to finally take over. "Mama I'm not going!" Amelia pushed her chair back using her legs and stormed up the stairs and into her room.

Amelia laid face down on her bed. No tears running down her cheeks, she couldn't cry, she was just confused. The small crack she left open into the room was soon prayed open a little more by the entrance Leo made into the room. He jumped up onto Amelia's bed and laid down next to her face by her pillows. She turned from being face down to looking at Leo who was curled up. She moved her arm and started petting Leo slowly.

After about ten minutes of lying with Leo, Amelia got up and decided to pack. As she was shoveing some of her clothes into the two biggest suit cases she had her hand move to her necklace. She gripped the small yellow topaz around her neck. She felt a small wave of electricity flow through her hand and to her heart. She didn't feel different but a very big part of her was slowly showing itself. Soon enough she felt nothing, saw nothing but at the same time she felt everything and saw everything. This time she did not panic instead she was very calm, she was so relaxed that she didn't notice when everything went back to normal, if it had been hours or seconds.

Amelia concluded her packing for that night and decided she would finish tomorrow. She had one suitcase full so she would be fine if they had to leave a little earlier than expected. She fell asleep on her bed at around 10 pm that night, Leo right by her side.