Chapter One: Survivors

[Soul Society]

[Rukongai District #67]

"We are nearing the area from where the patrol unit sent the call for help!" The female Shinigami with long, dark hair tied up, with strands hanging on each side of her face, informed her companion. "I can sense multiple Hollows too in that area. Too much for the patrol team to handle by themselves."

"I just hope we make it on time." Her male companion gritted his teeth, increasing his pace even more. The male Shinigami was a rather tall man with aqua green eyes and spiky, raven black hair. On his left arm, he wore a badge that signified him as the Vice-Captain of a Division. He pulled out his Zanpakuto from the sheath when they arrived at their destination, greeted with a sight he never wanted to witness.

Six Hollows were gathered around the area, with a few of them having just finished devouring the members of the patrol them. Seeing the pair of Shinigami drop by, they all refocused their attention to their natural nemesis.

"I sensed seven of the Hollows, one is missing but I bet that one is nearby." The female Shinigami spoke, unsheathing her Zanpakuto and taking a ready stance. "What's strange is that the Hollows who are known to act independently are working together."

"We can leave that stuff to Division 12 for studying." The male responded with a frown. "Right now taking care of these Hollows takes priority. We need to wrap this up quickly and search for the missing Hollow. Don't hold back!"

"Roger that!"

Rushing up to the nearest humanoid-shaped Hollow, the female Shinigami performed a clean cut on its chest. The latter backed off before spreading its wings and taking flight to attempt a counterattack. The Shinigami retaliated by putting out her left palm forward and charged a red sphere of flames. "Hado #31, Shakkaho!"

"Bakudo #4, Hainawa!" Not wasting a single second, she moved on to the next Hollow, quickly binding its arms with yellow ropes made of Spiritual Power before proceeding to slash off its mask. The Hollow disintegrated after taking a single attack in the head. Finishing on her side, she spared a glance at her senior officer.

The male Shinigami finished the last of the Hollows he was facing by first disappearing from its line of attack and reappearing right behind it using Shunpo before cutting off the Hollow's arms which were attached to its wings. He then thrusted his weapon into the Hollow's mouth before performing a horizontal slash, cutting its head into two.

"Let's go look out for the last remaining Hollow." He instructed, earning a nod from his subordinate. 'If the Hollows are really acting in a group then is it the leader? With intelligence?'

Similar questions raced in the minds of both the Shinigami as they disappeared from view, in search of the seventh Hollow hiding whom they knew was somewhere close by.

____________________________________________

(At the same time)

"Suzaku!" The girl's horrified shriek resonated throughout the small hut she and her only brother resided in. She had long deep black hair and a pair of vibrant golden eyes which were now filled with pure horror and despair at the sight of her younger brother's lifeless form held loosely by the red fur-like tentacles that had run through his torso.

"Aren't you a little hero? Thinking you could protect your sister?" A huge, hut-sized green-colored Hollow mocked, holding the black-haired boy via his red fur that surrounded his mask.

"N-Natsumi nee-san..." Coughing up blood, the boy named Suzaku glanced at his older sister, his right eye slightly opened, sparing a glance at his sibling, before glaring back at the Hollow. Gathering whatever of the strength he had in his arms, he grabbed the tentacle that had ran through his torso and tried pulling it out. "R-Run..."