Robert

Robert woke up at dawn, at his manager's couch. He was wearing the same clothes from the previous night, at his gig at the Ginger Mammoth, a small pub that paid almost anything for him to play for an hour or so, but offered free pints for the night. The money was short and the gap year he had promised himself to experience his music and try to make a living out of it was coming to an end. His guitar case was leaning against the wall, and he felt the bitter taste of failure of the past 12 months, and the result of his current situation: broke, living at Anna's place for the past three months. He took a deep breath and stood up, stretching his arms. He crossed the room and stepped out at the back door to have a smoke.

There was snow on the chairs of the balcony. He got the lighter in his pocket and the small fire was the only light in the room for a brief moment. He enjoyed the silence even more now, with so much in his mind. He inhaled the smoke while looking down at the city lights. London was white and peaceful. What's next now? He asked himself, wondering how long he will face this phase of scarcity. He rubbed his hair facing down, messing it up a little bit more than it already was. He needed a job, a proper one. More than that, he needed something meaningful, a purpose for his life. Music gave him a lot of satisfaction and made sense, but didn't pay the bills. No job in acting for two whole years. Every audition was a failure, a disaster. Deep breath. He checked his phone, 3:55 AM. He took a deep breath and went back to the couch to try to sleep a bit more. Maybe Anna would wake him up with some good news.

II

He heard Anna talking on the phone before realizing it was already morning. She was making plans to get something delivered until the end of the day. Robert opened his eyes and faced the ceiling of Anna's apartment.

I think he just woke up. I will talk to him. Get back to you as soon as possible. - She seemed in a rush. - Rob, I have news.

Good news? - He rubbed his eyes and set down the sofa.

I got this new script. It's based on a book, Twilight. It's a vampire story and I need you to send a video reading some lines. But you need to get ready, man, there is a time difference.

It's an American movie, then?

Yes, they will start pre-production in two months. They already casted the leading actress and are now after the leading actor. I think we have a chance.

You sound confident. - He gave a charming smile.

I trust you, kid. Come on, get up and get ready. They don't have the money to fly you to LA, but we will make a way. I will need to be there in 10 days.

A lot of information - He smiled.

She dropped the script on the center table, looked at him and smiled.

- Read it.