Chapter 32: Liam

Chapter 32: Liam

So sorry for the wait, guys. I'm trying my best here, haha 😅

Anyway, thanks for showing up anyway. I hope you enjoy this!

》* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 。* 。° 。* 。 • ˚《

I take calming breaths, my stomach aching. My face is flushed and I cover my face with my hands, laughter echoing around me. I take a lungful of air and let it out, stopping the giggles in my throat. Then I peak out from under my hands and catch Reid's gaze.

Just a simple look at him makes chuckles rack through my body, and to my sore stomach's dismay, we start another fit of laughter. Amber next to me lays flat out on her side, trying to calm herself, and Kate, leaning against the dragon, places her head in her hands.

At this point I can't even remember what was so funny. It doesn't matter anymore, really. We're just having fun, and at this point that is few and far between.

"S-stop!" Kate struggles through the laughter. "Stop making me laugh! It hurts!" A hand goes to her wounded shoulder, yet still she chuckles.

It's many minutes before we can finally calm down, whatever we had been laughing at no longer being funny, and our giggles dying in our throats. Sweat coats my forehead and my stomach aches. I turn to lay on my back, using Kate's legs as a pillow.

I see her stiffen above me before I close my eyes, and I wonder about it. I also notice her cheeks are redder than usual, though that's probably from the laughing. I heave a sigh and prop my legs up on Reid's. He places his hands on my feet and I wiggle them playfully. He laughs and slaps them from his face. It's amazing how loud his laugh can be, considering how quiet and soft he usually is.

"Phew! Is it hot in here or is it just me?" I say, unbuttoning my heavily patched jacket. I feel Kate shift as Amber sits up.

"Honey, you're always hot." She says. I open one eye to see her toss me a flirty wink and her best dragon smile. I roll my eyes with a smile and close them again. I interlace my fingers behind my head, nestling into my pillow, also known as Kate. Reid taps a tune into the side of my boot and a small smile graces my lips.

After a moment a tentative hand is placed on the top of my head, in my hair. I quickly lean up and expertly undo my bun, letting my shoulder-length hair out, and then I lay back.

"How greasy is my hair?" I ask Kate when her hand returns.

"Even greasier than…what are greasy things?"

"A hamburger. With bacon and extra fries." I say, immediately regretting it when the memory of the burgers I used to get at a diner near my old house comes back to me.

"A what?" I open my eyes to see her staring down at me. "Is that another thing from the Other Side?" She asks.

"Yes, it is. And it was heavenly." I smirk, staring up into her eyes. I notice how her cheeks are still that same flushed color, and how her pupils are all sparkly. I realize idly in the back of my mind that that might be a weird thing to notice, but I don't pay any mind it.

"Huh. Well I hope it was extremely greasy cause that's what your hair is." She shrugs.

"Hey! I haven't washed it in a few weeks. And neither have you. I bet yours is just as bad."

"Don't bet on it." Her face is stoic as always, but her eyes hold a familiar amusement.

"Don't make me reach up there and feel it!"

"Uh, guys, for what it's worth, I don't think your hair is that bad." Reid buts in with a soft smile.

"Oh, shut up, you don't get a voice in this conversation. Your hair is always flawlessly clean and shiny and soft." I nudge him with my shoe and toss him a playful smile. The grin he returns makes mine grow wider, his pale cheeks a pink color and his eyes nearly closed due to his smile.