Chapter 1

Third Person POV

Nothing but silence surrounded the two friends, as they sped around the final bend. There was no one to distract, separate, compare, or split them. The clear sky gave way for the brightness of the moon to illuminate their path. Skating side by side, it didn't matter who won; the importance of the moment was the feeling it brought to them. A feeling so precious, they could only focus on each other and nothing else.

The boys sprung off their boards and rolled onto the ground, overcome with uncontrollable laughter from pure joy. Laying on the lawn of the abandoned park, they took time to catch their breath and commit every second of that moment to memory. Stars freckled the endless night, as a cool breeze whipped against their flushed skin.

The spunky, red-headed boy rolled on his side, smirking at the teen sprawled out next to him. "Langa, that was..." Reki was at a loss for words.

"Freeing?" Langa finished for him. Reki nodded with a chuckle, as they leaned in for their special handshake. Their fingers remained posed in circles, resting together to form an infinity symbol.

'I want to skate infinitely with you.'

Langa became lost in the glistening amber eyes before him, wondering if it was finally the right time to confess. From the moment the pair first met, the bluenette felt a strong connection to the other. Reki was a breath of fresh air, his bright, beautiful aura shedding light in Langa's once dark and decaying world.

Butterflies fluttered in the depths of Langa's stomach, as he worked up all the courage he had in him. He knew there was no keeping his feelings secret much longer. It was becoming too painful to hide and too obvious to everyone but the boy in front of him. He feared if he didn't confess soon, someone else may fill him in. He didn't want that. It needed to come from him and no one else. He needed to tell Reki how much he meant to him. He was just waiting for the right time, and now just seemed...perfect.

"Reki, I--" Words got caught in Langa's throat as he was cut off by the sound of his crush's phone ringing.

Springing up off the ground, Reki rummaged through his bag, finally pulling out a cracked phone that was clearly on its last leg. He quickly answered the call after seeing it was from one of his little sisters, Koyomi. 'Why is she calling so late? She's usually asleep by now.'

Reki might have a loud, outgoing, and generally goofy side, but he also took his role as a big brother very seriously. "Hey, Koyomi. Everything okay?" He answered with a hint of concern.

An eerie silence filled the line. "Koyomi?" Reiki questioned, though it sounded more like a plea.

"He's back, Reki," Koyomi whispered solemnly.

Reiki' blood ran cold, while his whole demeanor shifted. His entire body tensed and his glowing eyes became dull and distant. "Sorry, man. I gotta get going," he said to Langa in an ominous tone.

Langa felt his heart drop to the pit of his stomach. Something was terribly wrong. The last time Reki sounded like that was when he spiraled into a state of self-deprecation, got himself jumped by a group of thugs, nearly quit skateboarding, and tried to cut himself off from everyone and everything he had ever cared about. During that time, Langa feared the worst, and now that tone and look made those nightmares resurface.

Langa wanted nothing more than to be there for him, but when Reki got that look on his face, Langa knew he preferred space to think. Whatever it was, he would shut himself off and demand space to work things out on his own. 'Would this time be different?'

Reki was about to take off on his skateboard, when he felt a tug on the hem of his shirt. Langa needed him to wait; needed Reki to tell him what was going on and how he could help. "Reki, are you okay?" Langa asked.

'I don't think so. I don't know. What should I do? He can't really be back, can he?' Reki's thoughts raced, but all he could manage to say to Langa was, "Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow."

Against every instinct and urge to protect the boy in front of him, Langa hesitantly let go of Reki, without saying a word. 'Just talk to me...'

Reki didn't look back, as he faded away into the night leaving behind the heartbroken bluenette.