Birthday Party - Soukoku

Basically this story takes place I think a few weeks before Dazai leaves the mafia, this particular moment is also mentioned in 'You're My Sun' I just wanted to write about it

Dazai checks himself once in the mirror to make sure he looks fine, bandages in place, hair looking good, tie positioned correctly, before slipping out of the door of his apartment. He's started caring about his appearance more lately, he obviously can't be seen looking like a fool in front of Chuuya, of course.

Dazai clatters down the stairs, frantic to make it to work on time. Today is Elise's birthday, according to Mori, and if he's late, Mori will probably throw him in the dungeon for the rest of the day or something like that. He can be a little intense. Dazai reaches the parking lot and tumbles into his car, quickly backing out of his parking space and onto the street.

He peeks into the large bag he placed on the passenger's seat next to him, Elise's present is still in good shape. I hope I'm not forgetting anything. He reaches the Port Mafia building a few minutes before 9:00, and he sprints inside. The guards standing in the lobby give him a quick salute as he runs through.

His thoughts wander as he waits for the elevator to arrive. I hope I'm not late. I hope Mori isn't mad if I end up being late. I hope Elise likes my present. I hope this elevator comes soon. I hope Chuuya thinks I look good toda- Wait. Stop. Dazai gives himself a mental slap as the elevator reaches him and he steps quickly inside. His thoughts have been wandering to Chuuya a lot lately, almost as if somebody turned on an invisible switch in his brain, and now he suddenly cares more about that stupid redhead than he ever thought he would.

His elevator reaches the floor Mori's office is on, and he rushes down the hallway, nodding at Mori's security as he passes. He throws open the doors to Mori's office, making a loud crashing noise and causing every mafia member currently in the room to turn to him.

"Where's Mori?" Dazai asks, looking around frantically. The clock on the wall reads 9:02.

"Hmm? Oh, he's out taking Elise for a walk so we can finish the preparations." Higuchi finishes pinning a streamer to the wall and steps off her ladder. "Why are you late? Never mind, I don't want to know, you brought the paper plates, right?"

"Ummmm..." Oh shit, I forgot the paper plates. "I may have... forgotten them?" Dazai rubs the back of his head with his free hand.

"DAZAI!!" Higuchi yells. "You do realize if we mess up this party Mori will literally throw us in the dungeon, right?"

"Yes, which is why I brought the paper plates myself, because I knew this idiot would forget them." Says a familiar voice from the doorway. Dazai turns around to be face-to-face with a familiar redhead. His heart does a little involuntary flutter.

"Chuuya!" Higuchi points an accusatory finger. "You're also late!"

Chuuya saunters into the room. "Whatever, I got your paper plates didn't I?" He tosses a bag to Higuchi, who catches it before grumbling something and turning away.

"Awww, my hero!" Dazai throws himself at Chuuya, who pushes him off easily.

"Gross, don't touch me. I only brought these cause I knew your dumb ass would forget them. Don't think this is a favor or anything." Chuuya stalks away to help with the party prep.

Dazai puts his present for Elise in the corner next to all the other presents before starting to help, too. He manages to get caught in the streamers 3 times before Higuchi tells him that he should just put a tablecloth on the table instead. After a while, all the decorations have been put up.

"Great!" Higuchi claps her hands. "Thanks for helping, everyone!"

"When is Mori coming back?" Tachihara asks.