two

YOUR POV

YOUR POV

The first day I met Finney Blake, I flipped.

It was those eyes, something in those dazzling eyes. One look at him and I became a lunatic. He's perfect.

It's been six years since I first met him, and I learned long ago to hide my feelings, but oh, those first days. Those first years! I thought I would die for wanting to be with him.

Two days before the second grade is when it started, although the anticipation began a few weeks before.

My mother had told me that a family with a boy my age, and girl just a bit younger, would be moving in the empty house across from mine.

And when I heard that news, I couldn't help but sit outside my house for weeks, just in case they moved in early. Literally, weeks.

Soccer camp had ended, and I'd been so bored because there was nobody, absolutely nobody, in the neighborhood to play with.

Well, except for my best friend Donna.

But she was still away at some science camp. Besides, she doesn't like to play soccer with me very much.

At the time I didn't think there was anything better than kicking a soccer ball around.

SUMMER OF 1972

When the Blakes' moving van finally arrived at one point, everyone in my family was happy. "Little Y/N" was finally going to have a new playmate.

My mother, being the truly sensible adult that she is, made me wait more than an hour before going over to meet the family.

"Give then a chance to stretch their legs, Y/N," she said. "They'll want some time to adjust."

She wouldn't even let me watch from the yard.

"I know, you sweetheart. Somehow that ball will wind up in their yard and you'll just have to go retrieve it."

So I watched from the window, and every few minutes I'd ask, "Now?" and she'd say, "Give then a little while longer, would you!"

Then the phone rang. And the minute I was sure she was good and preoccupied, i tugged on her sleeve and asked, "Now?"

She nodded and whispered, "Okay, but take it easy! I'll be over there in a minute."