Chapter 4.4 - Two Schools Collide

Recap: Last time, Simon and Marissa learned about the Erlking's plan to start a storm that would affect most of North America. Isa found them in the basement before they heard a scream.

We exited the basement the proper way by taking the stairs to the ground floor corridor. The highly polished walls were empty while the moon shone through the high-ceiling windows to our side.

I heard the scream again. It was screeching, the voice almost bird-like and reminded me of Mrs. Crenshaw. Mrs. Crenshaw was my least favorite teacher. She was an arbitrary and pathetic bully who abused her power. She regularly gave people detention for the pettiest reason and threw dice to determine people's grades, but she didn't deserve death. No-one did.

"So, you're saying every myth is true?" Isa asked. "Not just horror movie stuff, but also gods and magic and-"

"Everything," I said.

"Don't tell me you're the one having doubts now?" Simon asked.

"I mean, I can buy spirits in the attic and all," Isa said. "But the bigger stuff seems weird. You're saying this guy can make a storm? How?"

"The Wild Hunt happened before," I said. "Odin did it. Some even say the Devil did it. It's nature in its most untamed form!"

"And how do you know this?" Isa said. "I mean, don't get me wrong, people ignore the small stuff all the time. But you're saying he's going to bust this whole town?"

"More than that," I said. "We have a letter-ranking system for these crises and this one might kill the northeast part of this country!"

"And you said you heard a scream?" Isa asked.

"Yes," I said. "It's right here, just heard it again."

"Okay," Isa said. "I heard nothing."

I whipped around.

Simon's face was just as blank and uncomprehending as Isa's. "I can't hear the scream either," he said.

Evil Siris. She had a voice, she could speak to me in my mind, and if she wanted to, she could make me hear screams that weren't real. I heard her giggling, laughing voice in my mind, assuming I wasn't imagining it all, to begin with. She was playing tricks with me. Trying to make me seem mad so that nobody took my warning seriously.

"Marissa, is everything fine with you?" Isa asked. "I mean, I don't think your lying. But if you're hearing weird voices in your head, I'm not sure the others will take your warnings seriously."

"And what if I'm right?" I asked. "What if I'm right and we didn't do our best to stop everyone?"

"I- I guess you're right."

"Come!" I said.

The gym was close enough that I heard the sounds of the song "Creepy Doll" by Jonathan Coulton humming through them. Once the doors opened, we were greeted by banners of bats, witches, ghosts, and other Halloween creatures decorating the walls above the punch stand. It was an evening turbulent enough to wash away any worries that the world might end soon. Some students brought tuxedos and dresses while others remained in their Halloween costumes. I had avoided school dances as a matter of habit as they always felt like a straight-people-only club. It thus came as a surprise that not everyone had a date. Not that anyone looked bothered. The cheerleaders and the football team of Sleepy Hollow High School stayed even after the homecoming game to celebrate with us Summer High students.

I felt so naked. I forgot my beauty potion for today. Even ignoring Isa's pretty red dress, I had to compare myself to the cheerleaders nearby.

Three girls, in particular, caught my eye. Two of them were Sleepy Hollow High School cheerleaders I recognized from the field, although their costumes obscured their looks.