Chapter Three - Inhibitions

Chapter Three

There was an awkward silence between the three people on the hill on a far side of the town. Two of them looked very bewildered, almost in shock even, because of something the third said. Leaving this town? It was a thought that had never occurred in both David and Vanessa. Morgan seemed to enjoy the look on their faces. 

"Every year I tell one or two children this, and every year it's the exact same reaction. Leaving the city? Is that even possible? We'll die for sure!

Why? I ask them then, and they never know the answer. The thought had never actually occurred to them. It's the same with you two isn't it?"

David and Vanessa both nodded. To David it was something unreal. Just as when someone tells you people could fly. It was just a silly, impossible thought. They were never taught at school about what's outside the town, and whenever a student asked about it, there always was a fearful response. Creatures, monsters or just nothingness. It was something no one had ever done. 

Well there were legends of course. People disappearing instantly out of sight whenever they hit the threshold, but those were just scary stories.

"Can you stand yet?", Morgan asked David.

"I think so. give me some time", David said. He tried to move their legs and with his working arm, he bent both his legs. He had not used them for three weeks, he thought. They felt weak, but at least he got feeling back from them. It was as if his blood found new ways through his bodies, fueling his feet once more. It felt warm. 

He grabbed Vanessa's stretched out arm with his left hand and felt himself lifting up. His legs were shaking, but they could carry his weight. 

"Good enough for now" , Morgan said. "Follow me." 

He didn't give any other instruction than that before he walked away from the town towards the empty plains. Vanessa and David followed together. Slowly, very slowly they moved. David had his arm around Vanessa's neck and she had trouble standing straight as well. David was wondering why they had to leave all the food and clothing behind. But Morgan seemed to think that wasn't important and he kept walking on half speed in front of them. 

"Are you alright Vanessa?", David asked. 

"I still haven't recovered completely from the trick or treat night either. On my own I can last for a while, but if i have to carry extra weight I'll get extra pressure on my lung from breathing. One of them was pierced by the huge crossbow on wheels." 

"What happened after that," David asked. He hadn't seen her since she stayed as long alive as possible to give him a fighting chance to find someone else to bond with. If he didn't at the time, his GPS would have electrocuted him one minute after vanessa's heart had stopped. 

"Are you sure you want to know David,"  Vanessa asked. She looked at Morgan. He stood still, not looking back directly. He seemed in thought. As if he was doubting to tell him or not.

"Her GPS was pieced as well," Morgan said quietly. "I had followed her ever since i skewered some of her friends. She could see my sword, because i hadn't directly touched it yet. I was hiding in the bushes so that no one could actually see me. I was just having fun."

David looked at Morgan. It didn't sound regretful for a single second. It was rather matter-of-fact like.

"Vanessa caught my attention by dodging my sword at the last second. Her reaction speed was incredible. I followed her and saw how she found you. When I saw her being pierced by that ballista, I went straight to her to see if the harpoon had pierced her GPS. It did, along with a part of her right long.