The ill merman

Sitting on the dock of a ship, a young woman named Tina Goldstein, one of the workers of a fishing vessel. She hated being away from her sister back home and hated her job. In her opinion, fish should be left in the ocean where they belong. Undisturbed.

Tina stood up as some of their fisherman pulled up a large net they had just sent down minutes before.
She had walked over to help as the net came back onto the ship. Though everyone was speechless at the sight of something that didn't belong in their nets.
"What the hell is that", one of the fishermen beside Tina muttered as he studied the figure that lied with the fish.
When they lowered the net to the deck, the fishermen grabbed weapons as they released the net and it fell open. The second they were about to pull their triggers, the creature began to change as it whimpered and breathe heavily.
It almost looked as if it's skin was pealing from its flesh to reveal an undercoat. It's tail had done just that as it shedded it's fins, scales, and everything until it resembled a man.

Tina had took a few steps toward it curiously but cautiously catching its attention. She could tell he was scared. Just as it looked at her, suddenly the fishermen had shot it with three tranquilizer darts until it rendered unconscious.

____

Suddenly the creature had opened its eyes almost two hours later. It looked like a normal man. Messy ginger brown hair, hazel eyes and a face full of freckles.
When he woke up, he wore a pair of pants he hadn't had before given he had only just transformed into his human form and his hands were bound along with his ankles as he was chained to something sturdy.

Tina walked around the corner slowly with her arms crossed as she studied him not long after he woke up.
"Who are you", she paused, "What are you"?
He stayed silent trying to hide the fact that he was shivering as he kept his head down. He hated to admit but there was something about her and he knew what it was. Sort of.

"W-Why don't...y-you just kill me", he muttered keeping his head down.
"Because that's not the kind of person I am. But I can't control what they do, so I am sorry", Tina said before stepping aside.
Two fishermen walked toward the creature with a bucket of saltwater from the ocean. His eyes immediately widened as he tried to break free before they had poured the bucket of water on his left arm and shoulder causing him to scream in pain. This surprised all of them. The skin of his arm and shoulder changed for a few seconds before going back to looking like human flesh. they continued to torture him by continuing to pour buckets of water on him.
However, Tina had a hard time watching him in pain like this.

After about twenty minutes, they had given up and left the creature alone for a while.

Walking out from the shadows, Tina had gone toward him hesitantly.
"Just tell me what they want to know and they'll stop",  Tina said in what sounded more of a concerned tone than demanding.
He ignored her, trembling in tears from the pain as he kept his head down. He was pale and he had blood all over his skin.
Tina kneeled down by him, "This isn't suppose to happen is it", she said worried as she studied him.
She hesitated, "Just...t-talk to me and I'll let you go"!
He ignored her sos he continued.

"I'm Tina. You have a name, don't you"?
When he continued to ignore her, Tina hesitated as she glanced behind her pulling out a key she had stolen. Taking the key, she had unchained one of four chains that bounded him to a sturdy part of the ship.
"Look, the more you tell me, the more I'll unchain you", she mumbled holding up the key.
"What are you", she asked.
Hesitating, he closed his eyes hoping not to regret this, "A...fish. M-Merman".
She unlocked another chain of the four.
"What's your name"?
"N-Newt", he muttered in a shaky tone.
She gave him a small encouraging smile as she unlocked a third chain.
"Newt, what's happening to you", she mumbled softly motioning to the blood.
"I...I'm dying".
This took her by surprise, "F-From...w-what"?
"I-I...d-don't know".
She unlocked the fourth chain than his ankles.
"A-Are....y-you a threat"?
He shook his head and she hesitated before unchaining his wrists.
When he was suddenly free, Newt had immediately got up and pushed her down quickly. His strength and speed definitely enhanced.
As she lied under him while he pinned her down, he stared into her eyes before mumbling, "I told y-you I'm n-not a threat".
As she stared back, their faces were inches from one another and he gently removed one of his hands from her arm and placed it delicately against her cheek.
"You have to go before they find you", she whispered lost in his eyes.
That's when he stood up without turning back and ran for the edge before jumping into the ocean.

While he did this, fishermen found Tina knowing she was who let him go and with that she made a run for it as they shot their weapons at her. She jumped off the edge and into the water.