Change of Heart

After a failed attempt on Jedi Master Mace Windu's life, the Jedi Cruiser Endurance crashed on Planet Vanqor, and now Jedi Generals Mace Windu and Anakin Skywalker were staging a rescue mission to hunt for survivors.

"We'll contact you as soon as our search for Admiral Kilian and Princess Vivian is complete." Mace told the rescue team who saved the clone survivors.

As far as the Jedi knew, Vivian didn't get to an escape pod in time, thus leaving her on the ship. They only hoped her survival skills included being able to survive a fiery crash.

The Jedi exited their hyperspace rings and came up on the crash site.

"Let's hope Admiral Kilian and the command crew are still in one piece." Mace said.

Anakin looked out from his starfighter at the crash site.

"Hmm, looks pretty bad, but the bridge seems to be intact." Anakin said.

"Set down behind the cruiser," Mace instructed. "We'll approach on foot."

Anakin landed his ship and hopped out. R2 beeped nervously.

"You're not kidding, little buddy." Anakin chuckled. "I don't like the feel of this place either."

"Your astromech is programmed to feel?" said Mace, approaching the younger man.

"R2 is kind of a... special case." R2 popped himself out of the ship and on the land. "He's got a lot of personality, that's all."

"You encourage it too much."

"You seem to think Gabby's adorable, and she's got a lot of personality." Anakin said, then became worried again. "I hope she's okay."

"If I know anything about Gabriella, she is possible to catch, but not so easily kept in one place for very long."

The two Jedi and their astromechs started to scan the area.

"R8, start scanning the area for signs of life." Mace told his astromech droid. "And calculate an entry point to the cruiser."

Anakin started shouting out for Gabby and Vivian.

R2 beeped.

"You're right, R2. It doesn't look good." Anakin said. "Gabby! Vivian! Are either of you here?"

Suddenly, there came an unsettling sound from behind. A sound of creatures growling. R2 beeped frantically as he sensed something was following them.

"A bit jittery, isn't he?" said Mace.

"He must have seen something." said Anakin

"Come on. It looks like R8 has found an entry point."

The Jedi continued their search, completely unaware that two gundarks were following them.

"There would have been a command crew on board to try and land this ship," said Anakin. "Admiral Kilian and then at least three navigational officers."

"Commander Ponds stayed as well." Mace said.

The two men walked into the wreckage and looked around. There were parts that were on fire, exposed wiring, and a lot of unstable pieces too.

Suddenly, R2 spotted something, which he called Anakin over to see.

"What did you find, little guy?" said Anakin. He came to see what R2 found: a clone's dead body. "Mace, over here!"

Master Windu approached the body and flipped it over, he found a black spot near the man's heart that indicated he didn't die in the crash, but by execution instead. R8 spotted another one. He died the same way.