14

His head would snap to different places in the room thinking that he had caught a glimpse of his cat peering out into the light

His head would snap to different places in the room thinking that he had caught a glimpse of his cat peering out into the light. "She got scared of the noises from the nether plants outside then she ran off."

You cursed under your breath, your mind was too clouded with whirling thoughts of worry and fear for the feline that you missed the small 'language' Bad muttered beside you. You knew how dangerous those roots could be to her, highly toxic if she were to lounge around them for too long.

Ignoring Bad's plea for you to stop, you dashed towards the exit. Thanking Bad's magnificent tour guide skills from earlier. You realized what little luck you had, had shattered. The roaring of the rain and wind blew at you as soon as you opened the door. But you had to find Patches, the cat was so important to you. She brought you tranquility and peace when you struggled most in the unfamiliarity of Dream's home.

You payed no mind to the sky's cold tears that shattered against your skin, instead, your whole focus was on concentrating through the rain to see if you could find any sign of her.

"What are you doing? Get back inside! There are already people searching for her!" Dream's voice tore through the loud wind and rain. He moved closer to you while fighting the push of the breeze. His cloak did its best to protect the top of his head and body from the liquid but his mask did little to help his face. The peaking strands of hair stuck to his head and water droplets grew on his lashes, threatening to blind him.

"The more the better!" You yelled not sparing him a glance, "Patches could be in danger!"

"Stop it!" He grabbed onto your arm and spun you to face him. The droplets on you smacking onto him from the sudden turn.

"Stop what?!" You pulled your arm away from his grasp but continued to glare at his masked face.

"Stop pretending like you care about her! You got what you wanted! This is over, remember?"

"I'm not pretending!" His words added to your whirlwind of emotions, angering you as you stepped closer to him with a scowl. "I care very much for Patches!" Your pointed finger struck his chest without fear, "I will go out there to find her and you will not stop me!"

Turning away from him you started your trajectory through the thin path you could barely make out. His eyes widened at the sincerity of your words. "Then, I'll come with you! It's still dangerous for you to be out during a storm!"

You stopped, turning to glare at him. "You claim I'm pretending to care, then what about you?! Aren't we getting a divorce!?" You raised your arms in exasperation, "what does it matter to you if I'm caught in a thunderstorm?! Stop pretending to care about me!"

"I'm not pretending!" Your voices died down at his confession, leaving you two to stare at each other in silence with neither of you knowing what to say next.

Suddenly a sad, frightened mewl pierces through the patter of the rain. You looked out to where the noise originated from, "we're coming, Patches!"

You and Dream quickly headed toward the noise, yelling her name out against the rains song in hopes that she would respond again. Spotting a multitude of abandoned barrels on the side of a shed you walked away from your companion and started to search around them.

"Hey! You don't have to go so far!" The male yelled out after your retreated figure.

"She could have gotten stuck in between one of these barrels!"

He scoffed at your stubbornness, but amusement bubbled softly within him. He missed the feeling, having not experienced it since the two of you fought.

You two continued your search through the trenches of the yard, as massive as it was. The rain was starting to settle and the gusts of wind turned into gentle cool breezes against your bodies. And then you heard it again, a desperate cry emerged from the bottom of a huge fungus. You caught sight of Patches's damp body shaking from the cold, the scarlet fungi doing little to cover her.

You yell her name, and she jumps up to her feet when you yell. The mud underneath your shoes recoils onto your legs, staining your legs with its muck. You scoop her trembling body into your arms, cradling her closer to your chest.

Dream's footsteps were right behind you, he huffed to catch his breath after chasing after you. He turned to you, "you are such a troublemaker," his hand reached out to pet the cat in your arms, "both of you."

The two of you walked over to the entrance of the house where Bad stood fidgeting with worry. "You're drenched!" He screeched when his gaze landed on the three of you. You bent over to place Patches back on the floor, her newfound fear now keeping her close to both you and Dream. Bad pulled away from whispering to one of his workers, "i've instructed them to ready some rooms so that you could take a shower. Go take one before either of you catch a cold!" He began to shoo you off, watching his feet so as to not step on the feline on the floor. "The storm isn't gonna let up soon, it's too dangerous for you two to go home and there's plenty of rooms so you can stay over tonight."

-

You really needed a nice hot shower after everything today. You sighed, tightening the beige towel wrapped around your figure, h/c hair still damp from earlier compared to the dryness of your skin thanks to the warmth that emitted through the mansion.

Opening the door you screeched in surprise when you made eye contact with none other than Dream, shirtless and with just a towel wrapped around his bottom half. But most importantly he stared back at you, with those familiar emerald eyes that held over a thousand emotions. He wasn't wearing his mask.

~ 1030 Words