2. I KNEW I'D CURSE YOU FOR THE LONGEST TIME

"OH, I REMEMBER YOU DRIVING TO MY HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT." Salem screams.

"IM THE ONE WHO MAKES YOU LAUGH, WHEN YOU KNOW YOURE ABOUT TO CRY!" Chris yells, turning towards Sadie.

"I KNOW YOUR FAVORITE SONGS AND YOU TELL ME BOUT YOUR DREAMS." They sing in unison. "THINK I KNOW WHERE YOU BELONG, THINK I KNOW ITS WITH ME..."

"SHUT UP! YOU GUYS ARE SO FUCKING ANNOYING." Matt screams, turning the volume down. "God! Shut the fuck up already!"

Salem rolls her eyes.

"You are so boring." She says. "I don't understand what Audrey sees in you."

"He's handsome and funny." His girlfriend answers. "And a great kisser." She adds giggling.

Chris, Nick and Salem look at each other and pretend to vomit.

"Grow up." Matt mutters.

"You grow up. We're still kids, let us have fun." Salem frowns. "Bitch."

"Dumbass."

"Matt!" Audrey opens her eyes wide. "That's rude!"

"She fucking started it!"

"Well if you're so mature as you say you are, don't fucking respond to me." Salem says. "I can't believe you guys are related." She turns to Nick.

"He's only like that with you." He shrugs.

"Because she gets on my nerves!" Matt defends himself.

"Okay, chill out." Chris chimes in. "Make up."

"No." They say at the same time.

"Guys... please... do it for me." Audrey pouts.

"Ugh." Salem sighs. "I'm sorry for calling you an idiot."

"You didn't." Matt says confused.

"Oh." She raises her eyebrows. "I just thought about it, then."

"Salem..." Audrey squeezes her knee.

"Okay, fine. I'm sorry, Matt."

"I'm sorry too, Salem." He says. "What do you guys want?" He asks as he pulls up to the Mcdonald's drive-thru.

They all place their orders but Salem.

"I didn't bring my wallet." She shrugs.

"Fucking... I'll pay for you. What do you want?" Matt questions annoyed. "Same as always?"

"It's fine, Matt. I'll just steal a nugget from Audrey." She tells him, a little embarrassed.

Matt rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

"And some small fries with a medium sweet tea, please. That'll be all, thank you." He says to the speaker. A girl tells him something and then Matt's driving to the window.

"Thanks..." She manages to get out. "I'll pay you back."

He doesn't say anything to her.

Salem's leg starts bouncing as they wait for their food. She was getting impatient, and being cooped up in the back of the van was not helping her case. She could tell Chris was getting jumpy too.

"Chris." She calls him. "Smoke-break?" He smiles and nods.

They get out of the car immediately.

"Let us know where you'll be parked." Chris says before following Salem to the far side of the Mcdonald's parking lot. "What's up?"

"I forgot to take my meds today and I feel weird." She grabs a small blue box from her purse and a green lighter.

"Salem." His tone is heavy. "You can't just skip on your treatment."

"I know, I forgot." She lights up the little white stick and takes a puff. "I'm just... this moving thing..."

"I know." He closes his eyes. "It's harder than I thought."

She hums in agreement.

"But you're almost done with it, aren't you?" He watches a white cloud leave her mouth. "You should quit."

"I just need to finish packing my winter clothes." Salem lets another white puff out. "I know. But it's either this or weed."

"Weed makes you weird." He presses his lips together.

"That's why I'm sober, Christopher." She smiles. "I'm more fun like this."

"You don't need anything to be fun." He kicks a rock. "We're the same." He throws and arm around her shoulders and presses her towards him. "We're the same." He repeats.

Salem feels like crying. Chris (and Nick) had been there for her ever since they started high school and people bullied her.

Chris had always been closer to her. Maybe because he related a little too much with Salem. The way he could never be still, pay attention in class or be taken seriously. Nick was the person she always came to for advice (or to cry). Matt, though...

He was another story.

"Ready to head back?" The boys asks her.

"Yes." She put put her cigarette and threw it in a dumpster on their way to the van.

"Salem?" He says. She stops a few steps from the pilot seat where Matt was watching them. "You need to take care of yourself."

"I will." She lets put a heavy breath. "Now put a smile on your face or Audrey will bombard us with questions."

"You should tell her."

"Audrey doesn't get it." Salem eyes the van. Everyone was looking at them, so she lowered her voice. "I tried to tell her I had depression and anxiety but she just... she just said it happens to everyone."

Chris looks at Audrey, who was now sitting on his spot, feeding Matt french fries.

"I can't stand her." He says. "There's something off about her."

"She's my best friend." Salem reminds him.

"I know." He faces Salem again. "Come on, Marie."

"Oh, okay... Owen." She hits him playfully on his arm.

As Salem walks to the car, she notices Matt frowning at them.

Weird.