9.

N i n e

Peter practically had the route to Calliope's apartment memorized after so many visits. But, he was slower getting there than he was every other time. Peter's shoulder had gotten a nasty cut on it during a fight, and it stung every time he swung, making it a painful trip to Calliope's window.

He had been so in pain that he didn't notice when he knocked on Calliope's window, her "Come in!" sounded a lot more strained and choked up than usual.

But, when Peter got inside, the first thing he noticed was Calliope's blotchy cheeks and her sniffling as she helped him inside. Seeing the streaks of tears on her cheeks, Peter felt like even more of an asshole that he was showing up like this.

He had no idea how to handle the situation or how to comfort her. So, what was likely against his better judgment, Peter found himself saying, "Oh God, I'm so sorry I showed up tonight. I don't want to make you deal with me right now, I hope you feel better I'm so sorry for barging in on you like this. I'll just...I'll just go."

Peter had already started climbing out the window when he heard Calliope call out, "Don't leave!"

Still perched on her window sill, Peter turned his head around slowly so he could look back at her. He could see her wiping her cheeks furiously and standing up, already reaching under her bed for her first-aid kit. "That looks like it'll get infected disgustingly fast," Calliope continued. 'Let me take care of you. Just stay. Please."

Even though he still wasn't entirely sure, the look in Calliope's eyes made Peter finally listen. He sat down on the bed and let Calliope treat the shoulder wound.

Peter was the first to break the silence. "If I would have known, I wouldn't have–"

"It's fine, Spidey," She reassured softly as she wrapped the bandage tightly around him. "This is a nice distraction, actually."

"Are you sure? Because I jump out this window right now and leave you alone and–"

"Spidey," Calliope interrupted, sounding more sure of herself. "Stay here. Please."

So, Peter nodded and went quiet once more as Calliope finished bandaging the wound. When she finished, Calliope's hand lingered on his shoulder for a second before she came to her senses and removed it quickly.

Peter didn't know if Calliope was wanted to talk to him or not, but he figured he would take a chance anyways. "Do you want to talk about it? I don't know if I can give the best advice, but I can listen to you rant about it. If you want to, at least."

"I want to. Maybe it will help," Calliope eventually mumbled. "I rejected this guy when he asked me to Homecoming, and he didn't take it well," When she saw Spider-man immediately straighten up, she quickly added, "Not in a really bad way. Just...said some stuff to me that further solidified that I made the right decision."

"What did he say to you?" Peter quickly asked, then saying, "You don't have to tell me what he said. But...again...if you want to."

"He somehow just couldn't comprehend the fact that my ideal night didn't consist of awkward conversations and him inevitably trying to feel me up on the dance floor. The worst part though was that he kept treating me like shit for what I'm studying and saying stuff like it wasn't 'serious' or some stupid shit like that," She sniffled. "I know I shouldn't be listening to guys when they say stuff like that. But I don't know...I think it's just all really getting in my head."

"Well...what are you studying? Not that I agree with him because he's clearly an asshole, I'm just curious."

Peter knew fully well what Calliope was studying. But if Spider-Man knew about it, Calliope would start asking more than a few questions.