Chapter 3 - We Should Be Friends

Wifi closes the door to his office behind us. Within forty-eight hours I find myself standing in another office of a high-ranking Navy officer as a low rank Air Force officer. I believe I have achieved something that no one before me has.

Should I be proud of that? Probably not.
Am I proud of it? Maybe a little bit.

"You can't go out there and say something like that.", he says and starts to walk up and down in his office. As leader of this program and of this base, I might have pulled him into the pond of shit I created.

"They want me to be an instructor here and that's what I did. I will teach and talk about the whatever the Navy and Air Force wants me to as soon as the pilots out there understand what one action of them could do, Captain." He stops moving and looks at me. He nods as he thinks about my words and the meaning behind it.

"I am probably not the only one who understood that this scenario of yours wasn't fully made up. The base is probably already buzzing with the news and soon everyone will know."

"It was totally made up, Captain. The only part where I didn't create something was the part about me being attacked by a missile.", I lie to him yet again and try to cover it with a smile. He shakes his head and I shrug my shoulders.
"And if it comes down to the Air Force asking about what I said, maybe they should have been a little bit more specific about what I can and cannot say, especially since they know I can be a bit of a troublemaker when it comes to finding loopholes."

"I am so glad that you are not in the Navy and don't have to deal with you on a daily basis. I think all of my hair would have been grey or fallen out by now", he says and smirks. He somewhat looks proud at me.

"Grey hair would look good on you, though. I mean, I can try my best to do that in the next few weeks. It will probably look better than that mustache you are trying to grow", I joke, and he laughs.

"No thank you. I have enough on my plate and don't need anything else added to it." Wifi shakes his head and sits down on his chair.
"Did that really happen?"

"I can't confirm or deny anything, Sir. This is still a classified case and even though you are a captain, you don't have the clearance for it." He nods as he understands that I am trying to tell him, that he is correct. He presses his lips together and looks at me sad face.

"Well, then to another matter, because I didn't ask you this morning. Do you like your accommodation? If not, I could get you into housing for the next few weeks."

"My quarters are fine, Captain. I think I haven't thanked you for my new car yet. I was surprised when it got delivered to me in Langley a few weeks back."

My living arrangements are more than fine. They are actually pretty fancy compared to the room in which I should stay as a visiting officer. I could care less about the kitchen and the living room with the TV as I won't use them. However, I am not going to complain, because I know that Wifi has something to do with that.

"You are my goddaughter, you know I would move heaven and hell for you, if I have to", he says and then smirks, "and you know my former wife financed it."

Yep, his ex-wife is rich. Filthy rich. When they got divorced ten years ago, he got a huge settlement. Even before that, she bought him cars and luxurious toys, hence his call-sign Wifi. Wife financed it.

Before I can say something, someone knocks on the door. Briefly he draws his eyebrows together and then allows the person to enter.

"Jabba", he greets the man behind me, and I force myself to look at the wall behind the captain.

"Sir, I hope I am not interrupting."

"No, no, come on in. I heard you have already met Captain Wilson yesterday.", the old man says, and I notice this mischievous glint in his eyes. Nothing good can come out of it.