[[CHAPTER NINE: Comedians]]

I continued along the path, the cherries following at my side. I felt a bit uneasy after meeting Knife and Mic, but I ignored it and assured myself that they couldnt be that bad. The cherries, however, didnt seem to agree.

"He tried to rat us out! We dont buy it."
"Well, yeah, but remember what he asked afterwards? Maybe hes just trying to cheer up his sister!"
"We dont know her intentions! Its not safe-"

They were cut off by a rustling in the trees. The path was starting to branch off, and I noticed I was near another of the glowing stars- Which, for safety, I approached before investigating the sound. When I walked towards the trees, a small yellow figure jumped out at me and I fell backwards in surprise.

"Sorry to have to pick a 'fright'!"

I looked up to see a shorter cheese wedge looking down at me, chuckling at his own bad joke. He spun his Purple and Blue bowtie, and I heard a small "Ba-dum-tshh!" come out of a mini speaker inside. The regular fight buttons appeared in front of me, and I took a minute to stand and dust the snow off me.

"Pick a fright?"
"Like, pick a fight, maybe?" The cherries respond.
"Woah, thats... Really unfunny."

He glared at me, and I realized then I'd used up my turn. "Hey, you try thinking up great jokes on the go, 24/7! Jeez..." He raises a hand and hot nacho cheese shoots out the floor like a geyser next to me. As the snow below me begins to melt, I jump just out of the way of another blast of it.  The cheese seems to disappear into the dark of the underground's "ceiling", if you could call it that. I stared him down angrily.

"Omga- Fine, you're funny, ha-ha! Ha-haha-ha-HA! Now can you not?"

"Wh- I didnt even tell a joke that time! You're just making fun of me at this point." He frowned and spun his bowtie the opposite way, playing a "WAH wah wahh" loudly. I felt more snow melting beneath me, and I got on the ready to move again. When the onslaught of cheese ended, I paused, catching my breath and thinking for a minute, before leaning over to whisper to the cherries without suspicion.

"What else can I do?"
"Well, we've tried acting... You could try sparing, but that could be a waste... Could fight him til he runs away, But... Well..." The three of us- two? ..We, glanced over at Cheesy simultaneously.

"Yeah, no, I think we might just kill him in one hit." They joked. I flexed and grinned at them.

"There is one other thing we can try, but it might not help too much... We can go through the basic skills and strengths of an enemy- Like stats, in a video game! It might take up a turn though..." They took out a small notepad at that moment, grinning.

"Woah, really? Where'd you learn that?"

"Mom taught it to us when we were alive!! It's reaaally helpful for thinking of pranks!" One giggles and the other starts staring down cheesy for a moment. "Cheesy- 10 ATK, 4 DEF. Wannabe comedian who struggles to keep an audience. No new info there..."

Cheesy's face lit up as he saw an opprotunity, and he cleared his throat dramatically. "Cheese Louise! My jokes are gouda as gold, are you cheddar believe it!" He spun his bowtie again and slapped his knee, waiting for a reaction.

I couldnt help myself.

The joke was bad, but I started snickering anyways. A snicker turned to a chuckle, and a chuckle to a laugh. The cherries looked playfully annoyed, but I could see them holding back giggles too. Cheesy looked over the moon.

"Ha! Laughs! I knew it! That'll show trophy..."

Wiping away a tear, I hit the spare button and the fight ended. Cheesy shot me a wink before walking off into the trees and disappearing. I smiled and kept walking forward.

Once we hit the fork in the road, I leaned over and looked down both paths. One was just a dead end into a river, but down the other I could see figures in the distance. I walked past a box on the way, but considering the past experiences with boxes I'd had so far, I ignored it.

"SO! As I was saying about Paintbrush..." Mic's voice was the first of her I noticed. She stood tall, boasting to Knife about something. Knife didnt seem to be paying too much attention, as he was slouching, nodding to whatever she said, and fidgeting with a cigarette every so often. He noticed me first, winking. Mic followed his gaze and gasped loudly when she spotted me. She grabbed Knife's shoulder and turned around as if I wouldnt be able to hear them.

"KNIFE!! OH MY GOD- IS THAT A SURFACE..-ER??" She sounded giddy and excited, flapping her hands excitedly. They both glanced back and I realized she was staring at something slightly behind me.

"Uhh... I think thats a rock."

"Oh."

Mic's expression deflated and she turned to leave before knife grabbed her arm and pulled her back, gesturing to me. "Hey, whats that in front of the rock?"

Just as quickly she sprung back into motion, lighting up again. "OH MY GOD!! OH MY GOD!! IS.. IS THIS ONE A SURFACE-ER??" Knife gave her a slight nod, and she clapped her hands excitedly. "OH MY GOD!! Okay- ack-" She cleared her throat and adjusted her posture, turning to me. In all the chaos, I had forgotten I was still relevant for a moment.

"SURFACE DWELLER! You shall not pass this area! My brother and I will stop you, and then capture you! You will then be delivered to the capital, where- Uhh.." She paused and took out some flash cards, dropping a few while flipping through them all nervously. "I DONT!! REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!! BUT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!"

Knife chuckled, elbowing her. "Yaknow, it's times like this I wish I had setup the puzzles up ahead."

Mic blinked, glaring at him. "They STILL arent set up?! Wh- You-!? AUUGH! Do I have to do everything myself?!"

"Hey, maybe this is how you make the cut and get into the guard." Somewhere in the trees I heard a knee slap and a rimshot.

"Gah- you too?! Goddamnit, you both..!" She stopped herself, took a breath, stormed off. Knife gave me a thumbs up followed behind.  I looked up at the cherries smugly.

"See! They seem fine! And you were being sooo doubtful..."
"Hey!! We don't know for sure!! Plus, you heard what she said about capturing you!"
"Someone sounds salty! You're just jealous I won the bet! Pay up!" I walk ahead, leaving them behind.

"Wh- Bet?! What bet?! Get back here!" They grinned as they chased me. I smile.

I'm uncertain of a lot down here, but I think I'll be fine with them at my side, to the end.

(background creds to @yinyangcool420 !!)

((A/N: I feel like putting cheesy on the Triple Feature art makes him seem like a bigger deal than he is in the chapter but. he originally wasn't even supposed to BE here so. I'm kinda considering him as a mini-fight like Dough was, so he's semi important :D
Also. this chapter was maybe a liiiitle rushed so. sorry if writing is repetitive or lazy at all :,( I tried i swear))