Chapter 5

They didn't call it "practice rush" for nothing. Every minute of everyday when Camila wasn't in school, she was working out, practicing, and being on a strict diet. All the girlfriends and close friends of the football players often hung around practices with water, towels and extra support.

Camila woke up dedicatedly at five AM each morning for practice. Every morning she woke up to a text from Lauren. It always read "good morning and good luck J" but nevertheless it never failed to make Camila beam.

The big game was approaching so quickly Camila could hardly grasp time anymore. "Miss Cabello," one of her teachers snapped. "I understand you and your teammates are busy, but that doesn't give you an excuse to fall asleep in my class."

From behind Camila, her best friend Normani giggled. "Why didn't you wake me up?" Camila whispered behind her.

Normani shrugged. "You looked like you needed the sleep, and we weren't doing anything important. Come on, Mila, you're working yourself to death."

"Need to win," she mumbled as her placed her head back down on the desk. "Got to win the game."

"You guys will win," Normani assured her. "I already have my dress for the dance and everything."

"Normani!" Camila's head shot up. "That's bad luck!"

Apparently the statement had been a lot louder than intended, because the teacher turned to glare at the pair. "Miss Cabello," the teacher hissed. "Maybe you should go for a walk outside."

- - - - - - - - - -

It was only two days before the game, and it was the practice that would hopefully push them over the edge to be winners instead of losers. The cheerleaders ran their routine as per usual. Before going on the field, Luis made one of his inspiring speeches.

"Okay! This is our last practice, because tomorrow should be spent resting, pumping up for the game, and drinking protein shakes!" The team let out a groan in unison. Luis shook his head. "I've never met a group of people so unwilling to drink my protein shakes."

"They suck!" Someone called from the back of the team, and everyone on the team agreed with adamant nods of their heads.

Luis laughed. "Man up, you guys." Everyone's eyes turned to Camila. "Even you, Cabello. I saw you gag when you had yours yesterday."

"Because it was disgusting," Camila called out with a laugh.

"Okay, enough talk about protein shakes. The final word is that you're drinking them tonight, no exceptions. The main thing is that today, we're going to be practicing until you can't feel your legs anymore, even if means we're here until night. Let's split into teams!"

The group dispersed and Camila wandered over to where Lauren was sitting. "Can you braid my hair?" She asked Lauren.

Lauren patted the spot next to her. Camila swung her leg over the bench and Lauren's fingers starting tugging hair into a tight braid, causing her head to jerk backwards with every new strand added. "Are you ready for the game?" Lauren asked.